Cavalry and Guards Club
|Founded|| 1810 (Guards' Club);|
1890 (Cavalry Club);
1976 (merged club)
|Clubhouse occupied since||1908|
|Club established for||Cavalry and Guards officers|
|Club motto||Septem juncta in uno|
- 1810, the foundation date of the Guards' Club, which was based in Pall Mall.
- 1890, the foundation date of the Cavalry Club, which has always been based at its current location.
- 1976, the date when the two clubs merged.
When the Cavalry Club first occupied the site in 1890, it was a proprietary club owned by an officer in the 20th Hussars, but five years later, ownership passed into the hands of its members and it became a members' club. They raised the funds to build an entirely new clubhouse, which was completed on the site in 1908. The work was carried out by the architect's firm Mewes and Davies.
The club narrowly avoided closure in 1987, when its landlord sold the premises on to a property developer, who planned to convert the building into luxury flats. This was averted through the membership raising the capital to buy the property for the club.