Carrie Ichikawa Jenkins
|Carrie Ichikawa Jenkins|
|Institutions||University of British Columbia, University of Aberdeen|
|epistemology, metaphysics, philosophy of logic, philosophy of language, and philosophy of mathematics|
Carrie Ichikawa Jenkins is Canada Research Chair and Professor of Philosophy at the University of British Columbia. She is also a Professor at the Northern Institute of Philosophy, University of Aberdeen. Her primary research areas are epistemology, metaphysics, philosophy of logic, philosophy of language, and philosophy of mathematics. She is one of the principal editors of the journal Thought.
Education and career
Jenkins holds BA, MPhil and PhD degrees in philosophy from Trinity College, Cambridge.
She has held teaching and research positions at the University of St Andrews, the Australian National University, the University of Michigan and the University of Nottingham. She was head of the department of philosophy at the University of Nottingham from 2010 to 2011.
Jenkins was awarded a Canada Research Chair by the Canadian Government in 2011.
Jenkins became involved in a dispute with Brian Leiter, a professor at the University of Chicago and then editor of the Philosophical Gourmet Report. His online remarks about Jenkins led to hundreds of philosophers refusing to provide data for the report, and ultimately led to his stepping down as its editor.
Jenkins is the author of Grounding Concepts: An Empirical Basis for Arithmetical Knowledge, published in 2008 by Oxford University Press.
Grounding Concepts has been described as an ‘important book’, ‘an original treatment of the epistemology of arithmetic that is clearly articulated and carefully argued’, and a 'key work' in its field. Reviewers have said that ‘at each step Jenkins offers new ideas, or interesting twists of the traditional ones, or exciting polemics and criticism’, and that "Grounding Concepts" ‘adds a genuinely new option to the philosophical landscape.’
Jenkins has also published over thirty articles in philosophical journals and edited volumes. In 2013, she was a keynote speaker at the annual conference of the Western Canadian Philosophical Association.
• Grounding Concepts: An Empirical Basis for Arithmetical Knowledge (OUP, 2008, ISBN 978-0-19-923157-7)
• ‘The Philosophy of Flirting’: http://media.wiley.com/product_data/excerpt/25/14443302/1444330225.pdf
• ‘Concepts, Experience and Modal Knowledge’: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1520-8583.2010.00193.x/abstract
• ‘Romeo, René, and the Reasons Why: What Explanation Is’: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9264.2008.00236.x/abstract
- Personal website
- The Metaphysics of Love Project
- Interviewed at Aesthetics for Birds
- Interviewed for Philosophers on Film
- "Canada Research Chair – Profile". chairs-chaires.gc.ca.
- "Carrie Jenkins – Department of Philosophy". ubc.ca.
- Northern Institute of Philosophy Archived March 26, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Thought: A Journal of Philosophy – Wiley Online Library". wiley.com.
- "The 21st Century Monads". the21stcenturymonads.net.
- Schmidt, Peter (September 26, 2014). "The Man Who Ranks Philosophy Departments Now Rankles Them, Too". Chronicle.com. The Chronicle of Higher Education. Archived from the original on September 26, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Andy Thomason (October 10, 2014). "Controversial Philosopher Will Step Down as Editor of Influential Rankings". The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- J.R. Brown, Platonism, Naturalism, and Mathematical Knowledge, Routledge Studies in the Philosophy of Science, 2011, ISBN 978-0415872669, p. 67
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-04-23. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Apriority in Mathematics". philpapers.org.
- Nenad G Miscevic. "On C. Jenkins_Grounding Concepts:". academia.edu.
- ENR // AgencyND // University of Notre Dame. "Grounding Concepts: An Empirical Basis for Arithmetical Knowledge". nd.edu.
- "Dating – Philosophy for Everyone: Flirting with Big Ideas". wiley.com.
- "The Metaphysics of Love". The Metaphysics of Love.