An Charraig Bheag
The Old Bridge with a view of Carrickbeg
Location in Ireland
|Coordinates: 52°20′39″N 7°24′58″W / 52.344267°N 7.416054°WCoordinates: 52°20′39″N 7°24′58″W / 52.344267°N 7.416054°W|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
Carrickbeg (Irish: An Charraig Bheag, meaning "The Small Rock") is a village on the southern side of the river Suir in southern Ireland. Carrickbeg comprises that part of the town of Carrick-on-Suir on the southern side of the River Suir. The area is County Tipperary, but a minority of residents have a strong affinity for County Waterford.
The Franciscan order had a presence in Carrickbeg between 1336 and 2006. The land on which the friary was constructed was first granted to the order by the 1st Earl of Ormond. However, the suppression of monasteries by Henry VIII led to the closure of the friary. Just prior to the invasion of Ireland by Oliver Cromwell, the friars had returned for an 11-year period, before being shut down again and the friars having to go underground to avoid persecution. It was not until 1820 and the onset of Catholic Emancipation that the friars were able to fully return and a new chapel was built. Saint Francis Roman Catholic Church was built on the grounds of the former fourteenth-century Franciscan Friary. The friars served the local community until a lack of vocations led to the order finally leaving Carrickbeg in 2006.
The 1998 Tour de France passed through Carrickbeg.
Carrickbeg came to national attention in 2008 when the winning ticket for a €15 million EuroMillions jackpot was sold in the village.
- "New Life for Carrick Friary". Irish Franciscans. Archived from the original on 28 January 2015. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- "Saint Francis Roman Catholic Church". Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- "Saint Molleran's Church". Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- "Luck of the Irish". Euro-Millions.com. Retrieved 27 January 2015.