Life and work
Caroline Link is the daughter of Jürgen and Ilse Link. From 1986 to 1990 she studied at the Munich Academy of Film and Television (HFF), and then worked as an assistant director and script writer.
Link's early work includes the short film Bunte Blumen, from 1988. She was a co-director on the documentary film Das Glück zum Anfassen (1989). For Bavaria Film, she wrote two screenplays to the detective series Der Fahnder (The Investigators).
Link's first feature film, Jenseits der Stille (Beyond Silence, 1996) was nominated for the Academy Award as Best Foreign Language Film, and attracted attention for its portrayal of a family with deaf parents. Her second feature film was Annaluise and Anton (1999), based on a novel by Erich Kästner. Her third feature film, Nirgendwo in Afrika (Nowhere in Africa, 2001), adapted by Link from the autobiographical novel by Stefanie Zweig and shot on location in Kenya, received the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film as well as five German Film Prizes (Deutscher Filmpreis), including Best Feature Film.
- 1996 Bavarian Film Award, Best New Director
- 1997 Tokyo Sakura Grand Prix by Jenseits der Stille
- 1998 Bavarian Film Award, Best Young People's Film
- Der Fahnder (1985) (TV Series)
- Bunte Blumen (1988)
- Glück zum Anfassen (1989)
- Sommertage (1990)
- Kalle der Träumer (1992) (TV)
- Jenseits der Stille (1996)
- Annaluise & Anton (1999)
- Nowhere in Africa (2001)
- Im Winter ein Jahr (2008)
- Exit Marrakech (2013)
- Jörn Glasenapp (ed.), Caroline Link. Film-Konzepte 42 (edition text + kritik, 2016).
- "The 70th Academy Awards (1998) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- Dinitia Smith (1998-06-11). "Families Joined or Divided by Silence; Film Shed Light on Emotional Issues of the Deaf". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-01-22.
- Stefanie Zweig (2003-02-23). "Strangers in a Strange Land". The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-01-22.
- Laura Winters (2003-03-21). "In the African Sun While Dark Came Over Europe". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-01-22.