Carlos Alberto dos Santos Cruz
|Carlos Alberto dos Santos Cruz|
Santos Cruz pictured in 2014
June 1, 1952|
Rio Grande, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
|Years of service||1968-present|
Order of Military Merit (Grand Officer)|
Order of Naval Merit (Commander)
Lieutenant general Carlos Alberto dos Santos Cruz is a Brazilian military officer who previously held the post of Force Commander of the United Nations' peacekeeping force in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (known by its acronym, MONUSCO). He was appointed to this position by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on 17 May 2013 and replaced by Derrick Mbuyiselo Mgwebi on 29 December 2015.
A graduate of the Military Academy of Agulhas Negras 1974 Promotion (Resende, Rio de Janeiro) and the Catholic University of Campinas, Santos Cruz has more than 40 years of national and international military experience. He served as Deputy Commander for Land Operations of the Brazilian Army from April 2011 and March 2013. He also served as Special Adviser to the Minister for the Secretariat of Strategic Affairs within the Presidency of Brazil.
Santos Cruz served as Force Commander of the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) between January 2007 and April 2009. In April 2013, he received command of United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO). Santos Cruz commanded MONUSCO during the M23 rebellion and was praised for providing "strong backing" to the UN forces engaged alongside Congolese government forces.
- "Brazil's Santos Cruz to head UN's DR Congo mission". BBC. 17 May 2013.
- "Secretary-General Appoints Lieutenant General Derrick Mbuyiselo Mgwebi of South Africa Commander, UN Mission in Democratic Republic of Congo". Press Release. United Nations. 29 December 2015.
- "Secretary-general appoints Lieutenant General Carlos Alberto Dos Santos Cruz of Brazil Force Commander for UN Mission in Democratic Republic of Congo". Article. www.un.org/News/Press. 17 May 2013.
- Olivier, Darren. "How M23 was rolled back". African Defence Review. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
- Lt Gen Carlos Santos Cruz: We will go after those who are committing crimes against the population
- MONUSCO Senior Military Command meet over civilian protection and security issues
José Elito Carvalho Siqueira
|Force Commander of MINUSTAH
| Succeeded by|
Floriano Peixoto Vieira Neto
|Force Commander of MONUSCO
| Succeeded by|
Derrick Mbuyiselo Mgwebi