Cannabis in Wyoming
Failed attempts to change legal status
As of mid-2015, the Wyoming chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) is gathering signatures in an attempt to place legal medical marijuana on the 2016 election ballot as a ballot initiative. Wyoming has some of the most stringent ballot initiative requirements in the country, due to which the state has not seen a public initiative reach the ballot since 1991.
In 2016, legislation in the Wyoming House of Representatives to decriminalize possession of an ounce or less of marijuana (sponsored by State Representative James Byrd of Cheyenne) failed for the third year in a row.
An October 2014 poll of Wyoming residents conducted by the University of Wyoming found that 35% supported legalizing the use of marijuana by adults, while 60% opposed such a measure. However, a large majority favored allowing adults to use marijuana if prescribed by a physician (72% support, 25% oppose). Compared to a previous survey in 2000, the 2014 results showed a modest increase in support for legalized personal marijuana use and no change in support of medical marijuana use.
- Chilton Tippin, Is Wyoming caught in Colorado's hotbox?, Laramie Boomerang (January 4, 2015).
- Associated Press, Debate looms over legalizing marijuana in Wyoming (December 22, 2013).
- "Wyoming Laws & Penalties". norml.org.
- Sarah E. Boslaugh (8 December 2015). The SAGE Encyclopedia of Pharmacology and Society. SAGE Publications. pp. 1758–. ISBN 978-1-5063-4618-2.
- Richard Davenport-Hines (29 November 2012). The Pursuit of Oblivion: A Social History of Drugs. Orion Publishing Group. pp. 126–. ISBN 978-1-78022-542-5.
- Wyoming, Marijuana Policy Project (accessed April 9, 2016).
- "Wyoming marijuana: State panel studies impact of legalization". The Cannabist.
- "WY HB0029 - 2015 - Regular Session". LegiScan.
- Trevor Brown, Marijuana decriminalization bill fails, Wyoming Tribune Eagle (February 10, 2016).
- "Wyoming Residents Disapprove of Personal Marijuana Use". uwyo.edu.