Cannabis in North Dakota
Cannabis in North Dakota concerns the drug cannabis in North Dakota, United States, where cannabis was legalized for medical purposes in 2016 but remains illegal for recreational purposes. Possession of small recreational amounts is a misdemeanor crime. The cultivation of hemp is currently legal in North Dakota.
Failed attempts (2015)
In 2015, House Bill 1430 attempted to establish a medical marijuana framework, but was voted down at 26-67 in February. Members of the House Human Services Committee stated: “We just felt that the concerns and the risks at this point in time outweigh the potential benefits … for a small group that feels that none of the currently available drugs work". Following the bill's failure, a Fargo man began the process of preparing a ballot initiative to legalize medical marijuana for the 2016 general election.
Medical legalization (2016)
A late-2014 poll conducted by the University of North Dakota found that North Dakotans favored medical marijuana 47-41, but were against legalizing recreational marijuana, 24-68.
Personal use possession of less than half an ounce is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by a maximum sentence of 30 days imprisonment and a maximum fine of $1,000. Personal use possession of less than half an ounce while operating a motor vehicle is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by a maximum sentence of 1 year imprisonment and a maximum fine of $1,000. Personal use possession of half an ounce - 1 ounce is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by a maximum sentence of 1 year imprisonment and a maximum fine of $1,000.
- North Dakota Laws & Penalties
- Revolution, Hemp Style Now
- Charles H. Whitebread (1974). The Marijuana Conviction: A History of Marijuana Prohibition in the United States. Lindesmith Center. p. 39. ISBN 978-1-891385-06-3.
- Nowatzki, Mike (2015-02-18). "North Dakota House kills medical marijuana bill". Grand Forks Herald. Retrieved 2015-08-26.
- Nicole Johnson (2015-08-19). "Fargo Man Fighting To Legalize Medical Marijuana In ND, "Be Compassionate"". Valleynewslive.com. Retrieved 2015-08-26.
- New, The (2016-11-08). "North Dakota Measure 5 — Medical Marijuana — Results: Approved – Election Results 2016 – The New York Times". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Poll: N.D. accepts medical marijuana, not recreational". Bismarcktribune.com. 2014-10-17. Retrieved 2015-08-26.