|Comune di Camogli|
Location of Camogli in Italy
|Coordinates: 44°21′N 9°9′E / 44.350°N 9.150°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Genoa (GE)|
|Frazioni||Ruta, San Fruttuoso, San Rocco|
|• Mayor||Francesco Olivari|
|• Total||9.9 km2 (3.8 sq mi)|
|Elevation||9 m (30 ft)|
|Population (31 December 2011)|
|• Density||550/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Demonym(s)||Camoglini or Camogliesi|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||N. S. del Boschetto|
|Saint day||2 July|
Camogli (Camuggi in Genoese dialect) is a fishing village and tourist resort located on the west side of the peninsula of Portofino, on the Golfo Paradiso at the Riviera di Levante, in the Metropolitan City of Genoa, Liguria, northern Italy. As of 31 December 2011 its population was of 5,455. The name Camogli is of disputed but ancient origins. Camogli is one of the largest part of the Parco Naturale Regionale di Portofino, and a part of the Portofino Marine Protected Area.
In the late Middle Ages Camogli was a considerable seaport. In its heyday, its fleet consisted of hundreds of Tall Ships, and it was called the "city of a thousand white sails". In 1798 the city hosted a large contingent of Napoleon's fleet, which was then beaten in Egyptian waters of the Nile by Admiral Nelson. A prestigious naval college, Cristoforo Colombo, was founded in Camogli in 1874.
In 1880 the former fishing village had (in a population of 12,000) 500 registered ship captains. Camogli now lives mainly from tourism and is known for its colorful houses that line the beach. The house colors once helped the fishermen of Camogli find the way back to their port.
The local swimming club water polo RN Camogli has won several Italian championships and is known nationwide.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- Media related to Camogli at Wikimedia Commons
- Virtual 3D walkthrough of Camogli and more than 400 pictures!