The CITB or Construction Industry Training Board is the Industry Training Board for the UK Construction industry.
The CITB was established on 21 July 1964 by the Industrial Training (Construction Board) Order 1964, and was one of a number of training boards covering UK industries. It was a non-departmental public body of the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills until 2016 when it moved to the Department for Education.
In October 2003 Charles Clarke, then Secretary of State for Education and Skills, awarded the licence for the new construction industry Sector Skills Council (SSC) to "ConstructionSkills", a partnership between the CITB and the Construction Industry Council (CIC). The CITB became known as CITB-ConstructionSkills, or simply ConstructionSkills, for the most of the next 10 years.
The activities of the CITB have been redefined by Statutory Instruments (including the Training (Construction Board) Order 1964 (Amendment) Order 1991 and SI 1992 No. 3048).
In March 2013, it was announced that the organisation would drop brands such as CITB-ConstructionSkills, CSkills Awards and National Construction College and revert to its original CITB name as a result of industry feedback suggesting that multiple brands were causing confusion.
With construction employers paying a statutory levy to the CITB, it has been subject to industry criticism over its funding of training. In June 2016, for example, the CITB was criticised for not supporting an industry charity, Building Lives, while providing grants to organisations to train sales and marketing staff.
- CITB. "Our move to CITB". CITB Website. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- Explanatory Note to The Industrial Training (Construction Board) Order 1964 (Amendment) Order 1992
- The Independent; 19 March 2009; The rise of the quangocracy
- "Ministerial Departments - Department of Education". UK Government. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- Coventry Evening Telegraph, 14 October 2003, New Sector Skills Council ; National Construction Week
- Welcome back, CITB, The Construction Index, Monday, 18 March 2013 (accessed: 18 March 2013).
- Prior, Grant (9 June 2016). "CITB funds used to train house sales teams". Construction Enquirer. Retrieved 9 June 2016.