Burhan al-Din al-Marghinani
|Burhan al-Din Ali al-Marghinani|
|Born||8 Rajab 511 AH|
|Died||14 Dhu'l-Hijjah 593 AH|
|Era||Islamic Golden Age|
|Main interest(s)||Fiqh, Islamic History|
|Patronymic (Nasab)||Ibn Abī Bakr ibn ‘Abd al-Jalīl|
Burhān al-Dīn Abu’l-Ḥasan ‘Alī bin Abī Bakr bin ‘Abd al-Jalīl al-Farghānī al-Marghīnānī (Arabic: برهان الدين المرغيناني) was an Islamic scholar of the Hanafi school of jurisprudence. He was born in Marghinan near Farghana in 530/1135 (in present day Uzbekistan) He died in 593/1197. He is best known as the author of al-Hidayah, which is considered to be one of the most influential compendia of Hanafi jurisprudence (fiqh).
- Nashr al-madhhab
- Kitab manasik al-hajj
- Kitab fi-l-fara'id (also known as Fara'id al-‘Uthmani)
- Kitab al-tajnis wa-l-mazid (collection of fatwas)
- Mukhtarat al-nawazil (collection of fatwas, also known as Mukhtarat majmu` al-nawazil and Mukhtar al-fatawa)
- Mazid fi furu‘ al-hanafiyya
- A commentary on al-Shaybani's al-Jami‘ al-kabir
- Kitab bidayat al-mubtadi (his principle work, based on al-Quduri's Mukhtasar and al-Shaybani's al-Jami‘ al-saghir)
- Kifayat al-muntaha (unfinished 8-volume commentary on his own Kitab bidayat al-mubtadi )
- Al-Hidayah ("The Guide"), a work on Hanafi law and an abridgement of his commentary on Muhammad al-Shaybani's al-Jami‘ al-Saghir.
Al-Marghinani's most important teachers were:
- Najm al-din Abu Hafs Umar an-Nasafi, author of al-‘Aqa’id al-Nasafiyyah fi al-Tauhid;
- Sadr al-Shahid Husam al-Din Umar bin Abd al-Aziz, the commentator of Adab al-Qadi, the most popular book of Imam Khassaf which contains the Islamic Legal and Judicial System.
- Al-Bandaniji, Imam Diya’uddin Muhammad ibn al-Husayn (the student of `Ala’uddin al-Samarqandi who was the author of Tuhfatul-Fuqaha’ and teacher and father in law of Abu Bakr al-Kasani (the author of Bada’i` al-Sana’i` fir Tartib al-Shara’i`).
- Heffening, W. (1960–2007). "al-Marg̲h̲īnānī". In P. Bearman; Th. Bianquis; C.E. Bosworth; E. van Donzel; W.P. Heinrichs. Encyclopaedia of Islam. 6 (2nd ed.). ISBN 9789004161214.
- Dr Imran Ahsan Khan Nyazee (trans.) Al-Hidayah: A classical manual of Hanafi Law Laws (Bristol) 2006
- The Hedaya: Commentary on the Islamic Laws (Delhi) 1994 (2nd Edition 1870)
- John L. Esposito, ed. (2014). "Marghinani, Ali ibn Abu Bakr al-". The Oxford Dictionary of Islam. Oxford: Oxford University Press. (subscription required (. ))
- W. Heffening. Encyclopedia of Islam, Brill, 2nd ed. "al-Marghinani", vol. 6, p. 558.
- Skreslet, Paula Youngman; Skreslet, Rebecca (2006). "Four - Law and legal theory: shari'a and fiqh". The Literature of Islam: A Guide to the Primary Sources in English Translation. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 82. ISBN 978-0-8108-5408-6.