|Headquarters||6-8 Bonhill Street, London EC2A 4BX, United Kingdom|
|James Wates, Kevin Louch (joint chairmen); Suzannah Nichol (chief executive)|
Number of employees
Build UK is a UK construction organisation, formed by the September 2015 merger (announced the previous June) of the UK Contractors Group (UKCG) and the National Specialist Contractors Council (NSCC). It represents 27 of the industry’s largest main contractors, and 40 trade associations representing over 11,500 specialist contractors.
Build UK was launched on 1 September 2015, following the merger of the UKCG and the NSCC. Its initial action plan had five key areas: the image of construction, industry’s skills needs, effective pre-qualification, health and safety performance, and fair payment practices.
Established in January 2009, the UKCG succeeded the Major Contractors Group and the National Contractors Federation which had until that point represented the views of the leading UK contractors. The UKCG represented over 30 contractors operating in the UK. Between them (c. 2015), UKCG members accounted for £33 billion of construction turnover - a third of UK construction total output.
It was one of two organisations which represented the views of contractors on the Strategic Forum for Construction, along with the Construction Alliance. UKCG also worked closely with the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) Construction Council.
The National Specialist Contractors' Council comprised 32 specialist trade associations representing companies involved in planning, design, construction, refurbishment and maintenance of the built environment. The NSCC represented these specialist trade organisations on the Strategic Forum for Construction, alongside the Specialist Engineering Contractors Group. It was a member of the Joint Contracts Tribunal.
Reflecting its origins, Build UK has two categories of membership: contractor members and trade association members.
Trade association members
- Association for Specialist Fire Protection
- Association of Concrete Industrial Flooring Contractors
- Association of Ductwork Contractors and Allied Services
- Association of Sealant Applicators
- Association of Specialist Underpinning Contractors
- Association of Technical Lightning and Access Specialists
- British Blind and Shutter Association
- British Constructional Steelwork Association
- British Drilling Association
- British Geomembrane Association
- British Woodworking Federation
- Building Engineering Services Association
- Catering Equipment Distributors Association
- Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering
- Concrete Repair Association
- Concrete Structures Group
- Confederation of Construction Specialists
- Construction Employers Federation
- Contract Flooring Association
- Door and Hardware Federation
- Drilling and Sawing Association
- Electrical Contractors' Association
- Federation of Building Specialist Contractors
- Federation of Piling Specialists
- Glass and Glazing Federation
- Insulated Render and Cladding Association
- International Powered Access Federation
- National Access and Scaffolding Confederation
- National Federation of Demolition Contractors
- National Federation of Roofing Contractors
- Painting and Decorating Association
- Perimeter Security Suppliers Association
- Road Safety Markings Association
- Rural and Industrial Design and Building Association
- Single Ply Roofing Association
- Specialist Access Engineering and Maintenance Association
- Structural Timber Association
- Thermal Insulation Contractors Association
- Tile Association
Fair Payment Campaign
Build UK's Fair Payment Campaign aims to secure proper and timely payment and the elimination of retentions throughout the supply chain. Build UK argues that "the withholding of retention is an outdated practice in the modern construction industry with the best guarantee of quality being the choice of a competent and qualified supply chain".
- "Build UK - press statement". UKCG. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- About us Build UK website. Accessed: 1 September 2015.
- Prior, Grant (1 September 2015). "Build UK bids to unite specialists and majors". Construction Enquirer. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- CBI Construction Council
- The Fair Payment Campaign, accessed 9 June 2016
- About the Fair Payment Campaign, accessed 9 June 2016