Broadcasting, Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union
|Full name||Broadcasting, Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union|
|Affiliation||TUC, STUC, UNI, GFTU, ICTU, FEU, Labour Party|
Gerry Morrissey, General Secretary|
Jane Perry, President
|Office location||London, England|
The Broadcasting, Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union (BECTU) is a trade union in the United Kingdom. It has around 25,000 members who work in broadcasting, film, theatre, entertainment, leisure and interactive media.
BECTU was founded in 1991 with the merger of the Association of Cinematograph Television and Allied Technicians (ACTT) and the Broadcasting and Entertainment Trades Alliance (BETA), the history of which can be traced back to 1890. In July 1995, the Film Artists Association (FAA), founded in 1927 as a trade union for film extras merged to become a sub-division of BECTU.
BECTU is financed entirely by individual subscriptions from members.
BECTU's affiliations include the Trades Union Congress, the Scottish Trades Union Congress, Union Network International, the General Federation of Trade Unions, the Federation of Entertainment Unions and the Labour Party.
Any individual working or seeking employment in the sectors covered by BECTU in the UK can apply for membership.
Gerry Morrissey was elected General Secretary in February 2007, after the position had been left vacant due to the death of Roger Bolton, who died from cancer in November 2006.
BECTU announced in 2014 that it was in merger talks with the Prospect trade union which represents engineers, managers, scientists and other specialists in both the public and private sectors in the UK/ Prospect is not currently affiliated to any political party. At the BECTU Annual Conference held on 14 May 2016 it was agreed to ballot BECTU members on the proposed merger with Prospect. It was announced on 30 Aug 2016 that BECTU members had overwhelmingly voted Yes to the merger with Prospect which will take place with effect from 1 January 2017
- "Unions Together". Trade Union and Labour Party Liaison Organisation.
- About BECTU home
- BECTU News - Gerry Morrissey is new GS
- BBC NEWS | UK | Broadcast trade union leader dies
- "Prospect and BECTU to explore merger options" Prospect, 24 November 2014
- "About us", Prospect, 29 November 2013
- "Members to vote on Prospect merger" BECTU, 15 May 2016
- "BECTU members back Prospect merger" BECTU, 30 Aug 2016
Other relevant sites
- Association of British Theatre Technicians
- Production Services Association
- Society of Television Lighting Directors (STLD)
- Association of Lighting Designers
- International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees