|Traded as||LSE: BRW|
Simon Miller, (Chairman)|
David Nicol, (CEO)
|Revenue||£280.2 million (2015)|
|£50.8 million (2015)|
|£41.0 million (2015)|
Brewin Dolphin plc is one of the largest British investment management and financial planning firms with 39 offices throughout the UK and Channel Islands. The company is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index. The company also has a wholly owned subsidiary Tilman Brewin Dolphin Limited, which is based in Dublin, Republic of Ireland.
The business can trace its origins back to the establishment of the stockbroking firm of John Dawes, a founder of the London Stock Exchange, in 1762. His firm evolved through many partner changes to become Wontner, Dolphin & Francis in 1970. In 1974 Brewin & Co merged with Wontner, Dolphin & Francis to form Brewin Dolphin. The business was incorporated in 1987 and acquired by Scandinavian Bank the same year. It was then the subject of a management buy-out from Scandinavian Bank in 1992 and was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1994.
It acquired Bell Lawrie, a leading Scottish firm of investment managers, in 1993. It went on to buy Wise Speke, an investment manager operating in the North of England, in 1998 and Hill Osborne, another rival, in 2000. The company acquired Popes, a firm based in Stoke-on-Trent, in 2002.
- "Annual Report 2015" (PDF). Brewin Dolphin. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- Archer, Angela page 36
- Brewin Dolphin to seek listing on stock market
- Brewin Dolphin rebrands Scottish division
- Wise Speke to take on Brewin Dolphin name
- Brewin Dolphin buys rival broker Hill Osborne
- Brewin Dolphin Securities acquires Popes
- Archer, Angela The Making of Brewin Dolphin, Newport News, 2000 ISBN 0-9514601-2-9
- Hamilton, Kirstie Celebrating 250 Years,Wardour, 2012