Blue Magic (song)
|Single by Jay-Z featuring Pharrell & En Vogue|
|from the album American Gangster|
|Released||September 20, 2007|
|Format||CD, digital download|
|Genre||East Coast hip hop, hip hop|
|Label||Roc-A-Fella, Def Jam|
|Writer(s)||Shawn Carter, Pharrell Williams, Thomas McElroy, Denzil Foster|
|Jay-Z singles chronology|
"Blue Magic" is the first single from Jay-Z's tenth studio album, American Gangster., the song was released as a single on September 20, 2007. In the chorus Pharrell sings an interpretation of the song "Hold On" by R&B girl group En Vogue, who are also featured in the song. The name "Blue Magic" is a reference to a potent form of heroin sold by Frank Lucas at the height of his drug trade in Harlem, New York. An official remix features Pharrell and Trey Songz.
The lyrics in Jay-Z's first verse are a reference to Eric B. & Rakim's song "My Melody." Most of the song itself is a reference to the 1980s. Jay-Z even brings up his stint as an early age drug dealer with links to the Iran-Contra scandal and CIA and Contras cocaine trafficking in the US that rocked the 1980s and Reagan Presidency.
Blame Reagan for making me into a monster
Blame Oliver North and Iran-Contra
I ran contraband that they sponsored
Before this rhyming stuff we was in concert
Blue Magic also samples the 1931 horror film, Frankenstein.
Chamillionaire released a freestyle of this song for his Mixtape Messiah 4 called "What the Business Is". Royce Da 5'9" released a freestyle of this song called Blue Magic. It was a diss track on Mistah F.A.B.
The music video was directed by Hype Williams and costume designed by June Ambrose debuted on BET's 106 & Park on October 11, 2007. The video features recording artist and dancer Teyana Taylor, dancing and popping throughout the video. The video appeared at the bottom of BET's Notarized: Top 100 Videos of 2007 on December 31, 2007. The video was noted for prominently featuring wads and a suitcase full of 500 Euro notes, and it was noted that the video gives the euro media attention at a time when the U.S. dollar has sharply lost in value against most major world currencies such as the euro, pound Sterling and Canadian dollar.
|Canadian Hot 100||69|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||55|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||31|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Rap Tracks||17|
|U.S. Billboard Pop 100||52|
- Shake (September 20, 2007). Jay-Z to Release 'American Gangster'. HipHopDX. Accessed September 27, 2007
- Mixtape Maestro | Blue Magic
- "TEYANA TAYLOR DROPS HER DEBUT ALBUM, 'FROM A PLANET CALLED HARLEM' IN MAY". Skope Magazine. Skope Entertainment Inc. 2008-03-31. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- Jay-Z - Blue Magic on YouTube, universalmusicgroup, official Universal Music Group YouTube channel
- Rappers join models in insisting on euros as greenbacks fall further out of fashion Archived November 19, 2007, at the Wayback Machine., by David Usborne, The Independent, published 17 November 2007, accessed 19 November 2007
- Canadian Hot 100 – Blue Magic. Billboard. Accessed October 11, 2007.
- The Billboard Hot 100 – Blue Magic. Billboard. Accessed October 11, 2007.
- Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs – Blue Magic. Billboard. Accessed October 11, 2007.
- Hot Rap Tracks – Blue Magic. Billboard. Accessed October 11, 2007.