Blantyre coma scale
Using the scale
The score assigned by the Blantyre coma scale is a number from 0 to 5. The score is determined by adding the results from three groups: Motor response, verbal response, and eye movement.
- 1 - Watches or follows
- 0 - Fails to watch or follow
Best motor response
- 2 - Localizes painful stimulus
- 1 - Withdraws limb from painful stimulus
- 0 - No response or inappropriate response
Best verbal response
- 2 - Cries appropriately with pain, or, if verbal, speaks
- 1 - Moan or abnormal cry with pain
- 0 - No vocal response to pain
- "Blantyre Coma Scale for Young Children".
- Taylor, T. (2009) Caring for children with cerebral malaria: insights gleaned from 20 years on a research ward in Malawi. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 103 (Suppl 1): S6-S10 DoI: 10.1016/j.trstmh.2008.10.049