Black Rhinos F.C.
|Full name||Black Rhinos Football Club|
|Nickname(s)||Chipembere, Chadya Mukonde|
1 Commando Battalion Football Field|
|League||Zimbabwe Division 1|
Black Rhinos Football Club is a Zimbabwean football club based in Harare. They currently play in Zimbabwe Division 1, the second level of Zimbabwean Football, having been relegated from the Premier Soccer League in the 2014 season. Their home stadium is the 1 Commando Battalion Football Field.
Black Rhinos were founded in 1983 after splitting from Highlanders. In 1983, the club won promotion into the top division after losing just once in the entire Northern Region Division One season. After promotion, Black Rhinos claimed the domestic double in the following season when they won the Zimbabwe Premier Soccer League and Cup of Zimbabwe double in 1984. The previous season's success saw Black Rhinos enter continental competition for the first time in 1985 when they participated in the African Cup of Champions Clubs. Despite beating Mbabane Highlanders and Power Dynamos they went onto lose 2–3 on aggregate to Gorée. 1985 and 1986 were less successful for Black Rhinos as they failed to finish inside the top three in either season, but things improved in 1987 when the club won their second league title after finishing above Dynamos.
That saw a return of African Cup of Champions Clubs football but their stay in the competition was short as they were eliminated by Mauritian club Sunrise Flacq United in round one. Since 1987, Black Rhinos have faded in Zimbabwean football but have finished second place on two occasions, in 1991 and 2002 with the latter gaining the club entry into the 2003 CAF Cup. Just like their debut in the African Cup of Champions Clubs, Black Rhinos reached the quarter-final stage. Wins over Maxaquene and Kiyovu Sports saw them start brightly but they were then knocked out by eventual winners Raja Casablanca.
Black Rhinos were relegated from the Zimbabwe Premier Soccer League in 2014.
Performance in CAF competitions
- African Cup of Champions Clubs: 2 appearances
- CAF Cup: 1 appearance
- 2003: Quarter-Finals
Black Rhinos' debut in continental competition came in the 1985 African Cup of Champions Clubs with matches against Mbabane Highlanders of Swaziland. They won and subsequently beat Power Dynamos in round two before falling to defeat against Gorée in the quarter-finals.
- Results list Black Rhinos' goal tally first.
|Season||Competition||Round||Club||First match||Second match||Aggregate|
|1985||African Cup of Champions Clubs||R1||Mbabane Highlanders||1–0||3–1||4–1|
|1988||African Cup of Champions Clubs||R1||Sunrise Flacq United||1–2||2–2||3–4|
|2003||CAF Cup||R1||Maxaquene||1–1||0–0||(a) 1–1|
- "PSL charges fees in forex". Newsnet. 7 February 2009. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Zimbabwe (and Rhodesia) Champions". RSSSF. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "When Black Rhinos were the team to beat". Nehanda Radio. 21 September 2014. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Zimbabwe 1984". RSSSF. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Champions' Cup 1985". RSSSF. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Zimbabwe 1985". RSSSF. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Zimbabwe 1986". RSSSF. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Zimbabwe 1987". RSSSF. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Champions' Cup 1988". RSSSF. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Zimbabwe 1991". RSSSF. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Zimbabwe 2002". RSSSF. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "CAF Cup 2003". RSSSF. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Zimbabwe 2014". RSSSF. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- Barnes et al. (2001), pp. 54–57.
- "African Club Competitions 1985". RSSSF. 19 July 2016. Archived from the original on 14 May 2015. Retrieved 19 July 2016.