Bjørn Helge Riise
|Full name||Bjørn Helge Semundseth Riise|
|Date of birth||21 June 1983|
|Place of birth||Ålesund, Norway|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Playing position||Central midfielder|
|2004–2005||→ Brussels (loan)||31||(2)|
|2011||→ Sheffield United (loan)||13||(1)|
|2011||→ Portsmouth (loan)||2||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 3 November 2016.
Bjørn Helge Semundseth Riise (born 21 June 1983 in Ålesund) is a Norwegian professional footballer. He currently plays for Aalesund. Riise plays either a central midfielder or a right winger, and has earned 35 international caps for Norway. He played for Fulham of the Premier League from July 2009 to August 2012. He is the younger brother of former Liverpool and Fulham player John Arne Riise, also a Norwegian international.
Early in his career, Riise was linked with several clubs, including Manchester City and Cardiff City, but deals failed to materialize. Riise threatened to retire after the Cardiff deal fell through due to complications with Aalesund, his club at the time, stating "I don't understand what Aalesund want from me. I almost want to quit football because it's not fun anymore".
After playing only 17 matches for Standard Liège, he was loaned out to Brussels. When his contract expired, Brussels would have a call option on him. However, there were transfer talks between Brussels and Brann, according to Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad.
In July 2009, Norwegian media reported that Riise was to join international team-mates Brede Hangeland and Erik Nevland at Fulham, for a fee believed to be around £2 million. Riise subsequently signed a three-year deal with for an undisclosed fee.
He made his Fulham début in a Europa League tie against FK Vetra coming on as a 78th-minute substitute for Zoltan Gera. Fulham won the match 3–0, winning the tie 6–0 on aggregate. He played regularly throughout the season under Roy Hodgson, especially in the Europa League.
His contract at Fulham was not extended in the summer of 2012, and was free to leave the club. Riise left during May/June.
On loan to Sheffield United
The following season however he found first team football much harder to come by under new boss Mark Hughes and by February 2011 he opted to move on loan to Sheffield United for the remainder of the season. Whilst at Bramall Lane he scored his first goal in English football, in a 2–0 win over Leeds United. With the Blades struggling he could not help to prevent them from being relegated at the end of the season and returned to Craven Cottage having played thirteen times for the Yorkshire club.
Loan to Portsmouth
Return to Lillestrøm
Return to Aalesund
He earned his first cap for Norway in a Euro 2008 qualifying match against Malta which Norway won 4–0. He provided three assists in the game which saw his brother John Arne Riise score a goal. Riise earned his first goal for Norway in another qualifying match against Bosnia and Herzegovina. Norway won 2–0, with Riise scoring the second goal of the game.
- Scores and results list. Norway's goal tally first.
|1.||17 October 2007||Koševo Stadium, Sarajevo||Bosnia and Herzegovina||2–0||UEFA Euro 2008 qualification||1|
Riise is married to long term partner, Lena Jenssen – like his brother, he married in the summer of 2010. The couple have three sons, Noah, Filip and Levi.
|2010–11||Sheffield United||The Championship||13||1||0||0||13||1|
- Søfting, Thomas. "Bjørn Helge Riise" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 3 November 2011.
- Riise deal collapses? cardiffcity-mad.co.uk
- Mamma Riise raste mot Aalesund Archived 27 July 2009 at the Wayback Machine. Aftenposten.no (Norwegian)
- Bjorn Riise signs for Standard Liege cardiffcity-mad.co.uk
- Riise åpner for Brann Archived 27 July 2009 at the Wayback Machine. Adressa.no (Norwegian)
- Riise enig med Lillestrøm Archived 27 July 2009 at the Wayback Machine. Nettavisen.no (Norwegian)
- Bjørn Helge Riise klar for Fulham VG.no (Norwegian)
- Bjørn Helge Riise klar for Fulham Archived 20 July 2009 at the Wayback Machine. TV2.no (Norwegian)
- Fulham sign Bjørn Helge Riise Goal.com
- "Riise's brother makes Fulham move". BBC Sport. 22 July 2009. Retrieved 22 July 2009.
- "Blades sign Norwegian". Sheffield United F.C. 15 February 2011. Retrieved 15 February 2011.
- "Leeds win was massive". football.co.uk. 22 March 2011. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Portsmouth sign Fulham midfielder Bjorn Helge Riise on loan". BBC. 26 September 2011. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- Bjørn Helge Riise klar for LSK NRK.no (Norwegian)
- "Norway graft earns Sarajevo success". uefa.com. 17 October 2007. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- "Bjørn Helge Riise". altomfotball.no (in Norwegian). TV 2. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bjørn Helge Riise.|