|Nickname(s): Bhadrapur Bazaar.|
Location in Nepal
|Coordinates: NP 26°32′40″N 88°05′40″E / 26.54444°N 88.09444°E|
|• Type||Bhadrapur Municipality|
|Elevation||91 m (299 ft)|
|Time zone||NST (UTC+5:45)|
Bhadrapur (Nepali: भद्रपुर) is a town and municipality in Jhapa District in the Mechi Zone of southeastern Nepal. It lies on the right bank of the Mechi River, Nepal's eastern border with Bihar state, India. There is a border crossing with a customs post for goods. Galgalia village in Kishanganj District is on the other side.
Bhadrapur is one of Nepal's oldest municipalities. At the time of the 2011 Nepal census, it had a population of 50249 people. Bhadrapur Airport has flights to Kathmandu. This airport is the best way to reach Kathmandu from eastern part of India (i.e., West Bengal, Sikkim).
Bhadrapur is the "tea city" of Nepal. It is a starting point for tourist attractions. A few hours ride north takes one close to the Himalayas. There are good roads up to a height of around 3700 meters.
Bhadrapur was a very prosperous city during the early 1970s. It was renowned for its rice cultivation due to its rich fertile soil. This period saw rice mills being established, led by Brahma Lal Shrestha who was one of the early city founders. The prosperous rice business led Bhadrapur to its most prosperous period.
Bhadrapur has important governmental and other important infrastructures, including a zonal hospital, airport, college, police and military headquarters, and hosts the Central District Offices.
However, due to the construction of the Mahendra Highway or East West Highway (north of Bhadrapur), economic activities have shifted north to the junction of the highway Birtamod. This has left Bhadrapur with a receding population and crippled its once-booming economic activity.
In the last decade, Bhadrapur has slowly transformed itself into a tea hub with new plantations and tea factories being established every year. The much-awaited Mechi Bridge joining Bhadrapur to India (Galgalia) is under construction and acts as a lifeline to the revitalization of Bhadrapur. There is a checkpoint at the border.As after the bridge is constructed, local people can enjoy their visit to india without any problem.
College, +2 Level and Schools
- Mechi Multiple Campus
- Siddhartha Shishu Sadan
- Bhadrapur Higher Secondary School (est. 2002 B.S.)
- Birendra Higher Secondary School
- Araniko Higher Secondary School
- Emerald Academy Higher Secondary School
- bibhuti vidya mandir higher secondary school
- Bidur English Secondary School
- Puhatu Janajyoti High School
- Bhanusmriti High School
- S.S. Niketan English High School
- Pragyan Academy
- Gyan Sarovar Niketan High School
- Shree Sharada Lower Secondary School (Balika School)
- Shree Prithvi Lower Secondary School (Namuna School)
- Maheshpur Lower Secondary School
- Jiwanjyoti Lower Secondary School
- Pashupatinath Lower Secondary School
- Kalwalguri Lower Secondary School
- Saraswati Lower Secondary School
- Janakalyan Lower Secondary School
- Krishna Primary School
- Bhagawati Primary School
- Bhrikuti Primary School
- Bhanu Primary School
- Pashupati Primary School
- Gautambuddha Primary School
- Pashupati Primary School (past Maheshpur VDC)
- Mechi Primary School
- Aadarsh Primary School
- Dolma Memorial
- Galaxy International School
- Gurukul Kids School
- M.N.K Pre-school
- Modern English high school (estd -2052)
Communication and entertainment
To promote local culture Bhadrapur has one FM radio station: Nagarik F.M 107.5 MHz. It is a community radio station.
Krishna Raj Complex has a cinema hall which is situated at Bhadrapur Bazar. Abala Chitra Mandir, which was the first cinema hall of bhadrapur was reconstructed to Krishma Raj Complex
Jawahar Talkies is a cinema between Bhadrapur Municipality office and Mechi River.
- Mechi Zonal Hospital, Bhadrapur, Jhapa
- Om Sai Pathibhara Hospital Pvt. Ltd.( 100 bedded hospital ,CT SCAN,Ultra-sound , Digital X-ray, Echocardiography , ) Laparoscopic Surgery, Ortho Surgery, Gyane Surgery, ENT Surgery ,Dental surgery)
- Durga Pharmacy, Chandragadi
- Dristy Eye Hospital
Bridge foundation reinforcements
Caisson being drained
Mechi Bridge under construction, 2011
Bajra Tea Garden, Bhadrapur
Bhadrapur Bus Park
Kameshwar Complex in the heart of Bhadrapur Bazaar