|Position:||Wide receiver / Kick returner|
|Date of birth:||February 11, 1979|
|Place of birth:||Dallas, Texas|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||200 lb (91 kg)|
|NFL Draft:||2003 / Round: 2 / Pick: 45|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Bethel Johnson (born February 11, 1979) is a former American football wide receiver. He was drafted by the New England Patriots in the second round of the 2003 NFL Draft. He played college football at Texas A&M.
Johnson earned two Super Bowl rings with the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXVIII and Super Bowl XXXIX. He has also been a member of the New Orleans Saints, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Houston Texans and Toronto Argonauts.
Johnson attended Texas A&M University, and finished his college football career with 117 receptions for 1740 yards (14.9 yards per reception), and 11 receiving touchdowns. His 117 receptions and 1740 receiving yards both rank second in school career records.
- Sophomore - 27 catches for 514 yards and 3 TD.
- Junior - 42 catches for 440 yards and 0 TD.
- RS Senior - 40 catches for 718 yards and 8 TD. He also averaged 21 yards per KR and 11.6 yards per PR.
New England Patriots
New Orleans Saints
He was traded to the Saints on June 5, 2006 for defensive tackle Johnathan Sullivan, who was drafted sixth overall by the Saints in 2003. Saints coach, Sean Payton, questioned Johnson's "conditioning, his stamina and endurance" during the preseason.
Johnson was cut from the Saints before the 2006 regular season began after injuring his knee in a preseason game.
Johnson was then signed by the Minnesota Vikings on October 10, 2006. He appeared in 11 games with two starts for the Vikings that season, catching nine passes for 156 yards. He became a free agent in the 2007 offseason.
On July 9, 2007, Johnson signed with the Houston Texans. However, he was released on August 31, during final cuts and spent the rest of the season out of football.
On May 26, 2008, Johnson was signed by the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League. He was released on September 30, due to his lack of progress; ranking just seventh on the team in receiving with 16 catches for 189 yards and no touchdowns.
- "Most Receiving Yards - Career". Texas A&M Athletics.
- "Most Receptions - Career". Texas A&M Athletics.
- HOME - TwinCities.com
- Reiss, Mike (September 5, 2006). "He's ready for some football". The Boston Globe.
- Schefter, Adam (2007-06-05). "Samuel holding out for a new deal with Pats". NFL.com. Archived from the original on 2007-07-07. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
The Eagles cut wide receiver/kick returner Bethel Johnson after he failed his physical.
- "Argonauts add former NFLer Bethel Johnson". CBC Sports. 2008-05-26. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- Zelkovich, Chris (2008-06-23). "Johnson looking to start over with Argos". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Fitz-Gerald, Sean (2008-09-30). "Johnson cut as Argos continue reworking roster". National Post. Retrieved 2008-10-01.