Berne Township, Fairfield County, Ohio
|Berne Township, Fairfield County, Ohio|
Hocking River valley north of Sugar Grove
Location of Berne Township in Fairfield County
|Coordinates: 39°38′58″N 82°33′10″W / 39.64944°N 82.55278°WCoordinates: 39°38′58″N 82°33′10″W / 39.64944°N 82.55278°W|
|• Total||44.4 sq mi (114.9 km2)|
|• Land||44.0 sq mi (114.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|Elevation||781 ft (238 m)|
|• Density||116/sq mi (44.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086073|
Berne Township is one of the thirteen townships of Fairfield County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2010 census the population was 5,088, of whom 4,662 lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Pleasant Township - north
- Rush Creek Township - northeast
- Marion Township, Hocking County - southeast
- Good Hope Township, Hocking County - south
- Madison Township - southwest
- Hocking Township - west
- Greenfield Township - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001), Berne township, Fairfield County, Ohio". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- Miller, Charles Christian (1912). History of Fairfield County, Ohio, and representative citizens. Chicago, Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co. p. 128.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.