A beer sommelier is a trained professional who works in the hospitality and alcoholic beverage industry specializing in the service and knowledge of beer. The knowledge required for certification includes an understanding of styles, brewing, ingredients, history of beer and brewing, glassware, beer service, draught systems, beer tasting and food pairings. The profession is relatively new but growing.
The work of a beer sommelier is varied due to its infancy and the broadness of the beer and brewing industry. Typically people who qualify through one of the accreditation schemes, work in the hospitality industry and will have responsibility for choosing and purchasing beer, oversee its correct storage and service, attend customers and educate staff. In the brewing industry, beer sommeliers may take tours and tastings as well as be sales representatives. In the retail industry, they may be in charge of the buying and selection of beers available for purchase. Self-employed beer sommeliers may undertake a range of jobs including pub and restaurant consulting and staff training, beer writing, hosting tasting events and beer judging for competitions at festivals, as well as in print for beer reviews.
Education and certification
There are a number of private organisations that offer courses and certification for individuals as a beer sommelier, not always using this term, but one of their own creation (and trademark).
Beer tasting is the act of assessing the flavor and quality of beer via the subjective process of sampling the beer. Some organizations provide beer rating systems to quantify the results of beer tasting.
In Poland a cervesario is the name for a specialist in serving beer; they work mainly in the LECH Visitors Centre at the Poznań Brewery and run tasting shows for organized groups visiting the brewery. The name comes from the Latin for "a brewer".
- Stanley, John (26 April 2011). "Cicerones tapped for beer-food pairing tips". The Arizona Republic. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- LaVilla, Joseph (2009). The Wine, Beer, and Spirits Handbook: A Guide to Styles and Service. John Wiley. p. 395. ISBN 978-0-470-13884-7.
- Stanley, John (17 June 2010). "Cicerone title means knowing a bit more than 'tastes great, less filling'". The Arizona Republic. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Branża piwna startuje z cervesario, czyli "piwnymi" sommelierami". www.portalspozywczy.pl.
- "Cervesario". Platine.pl.
- "Pijesz piwo... i jeszcze Ci za to płacą?". codziennypoznan.pl.
- "Kim jest CERVESARIO ? - Portal Kierunek Agro - informacje z branży spożywczej". Portal Kierunek Agro - informacje z branży spożywczej.
- "W całej Polsce jest tylko 10 zawodowych cervesario...i tylko jeden z nich jest mężczyzną". www.pulshr.pl.
- "Cervesario, czyli piwny ekspert - najbardziej elitarny zawód w Polsce". interia.pl.