Bank of Wales
|Division of Bank of Scotland|
|Parent||Lloyds Banking Group|
The Bank of Wales was founded by Sir Julian Hodge in 1971. The company provided commercial banking services to small and medium-sized businesses in Wales.
From the outset Sir Julian Hodge wanted the company to be called the Bank of Wales, but the compromise title Commercial Bank of Wales (Welsh: Banc Masnachol Cymru) was adopted following objections from the Registrar of Companies and the Bank of England, who claimed that the proposed name would imply a central bank. The company was eventually officially renamed Bank of Wales in December 1986. By the year 2000 it had seven regional offices and assets of over £460 million.
The Bank started its life on St Mary Street, but in 1989 moved to Kingsway in a brand new landmark building opposite Cardiff Castle, which later became inhabited by the Welsh Development Agency.
The bank was taken over by the Bank of Scotland in 1986 and ceased trading under the Welsh brand in 2002. In 2009, Geraint Talfan Davies, chairman of the Institute of Welsh Affairs, said that the banking crisis showed the need for the revival of the brand.
In December 2014 Lloyds Banking Group announced that it would re-establish the Bank of Wales as a savings provider.
- Julian Hodge Bank
- Sir Alun Talfan Davies – former Chairman
- Viscount Tonypandy – Chairman 1985–1991
- James Callaghan – former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and non-executive director of the Bank.
- Davies, John; Jenkins, Nigel (2008). The Welsh Academy Encyclopaedia of Wales. Cardiff: University of Wales Press. p. 49. ISBN 978-0-7083-1953-6.
- "Bring back the Bank of Wales". Western Mail. 21 February 2009. Retrieved 12 September 2010.