|Coordinates: 32°37′N 44°33′E / 32.617°N 44.550°ECoordinates: 32°37′N 44°33′E / 32.617°N 44.550°E|
|• Total||5,119 km2 (1,976 sq mi)|
|Population (2014 Estimate)|
Babil Governorate or Babylon Province (Arabic: محافظة بابل Muḥāfaẓa Bābil) is a governorate in central Iraq. It has an area of 5,119 square kilometres (1,976 sq mi), with an estimated population of 1,651,565 people in 2002. The provincial capital is the city of Hillah, which lies opposite the ancient city of Babylon (بابل), on the Euphrates river.
- Governor: Sadiq Madlool Hamad Jasim (Elected April 20, 2013; 6th Governor of Babylon)
- Deputy Governor: Wisam Asslan S'oud Mashhad
- Provincial Council Chairman (PCC): Ra'ad Hamza Alwan Abbood
The city was occupied from the 3rd millennium BC but became important early in the 2nd millennium under the kings of the First Dynasty of Babylon. The sixth king of this dynasty was Hammurabi (1792–1750 BC) who made Babylon the capital of a vast empire and is best remembered for his code of laws.
In 1991 Babil Governorate was the center of a Shia uprising.
Babylon province is located between 32° to 33.25° North latitude and 44° to 45° East longitude. The area is arid to semi-arid and its mean annual rainfall is highly varied ranging from 50 millimetres (2 in) or less to 200 millimetres (8 in). Temperatures in the summer can reach as high as 50 °C, and winters are generally mild.
- Al-Mahawil District (Al-Mahawil)
- Al-Musayab District (Al-Musayab)
- Hashimiya District (Hashimiya)
- Hilla District (Hillah)
- Hillah –51001— الحلة
- University of Babylon –51002—جامعة بابل
- Bab Al Mashhad–51003—باب المشهد
- Eshtar –51004—عشتار
- Al Emam –51005—الامام
- Al Musayab –51006—المسيب
- Al Eskandariya –51007—الاسكندرية
- Al Muhaweel –51008—المحاويل
- Al Mashrooa' –51009—المشروع
- Saddat al Hindiyah –51010—سدة الهندية
- Al Kifil –51011—الكفل
- Al Hashimiyah –51012—الهاشمية
- Al Qassim –51013—القاسم
- Al Showmali –51014—الشوملي
- Abi Gharaq –51015—ابي غرق
- Al Midhatiya –51016—المدحتية
- Al Nile –51017—النيل
- Al Talee'a –51018—الطليعة
- Jurf Al Sakhar –51019—جرف الصخر
Notes and references
- "Babil Governorate Profile" (PDF). NGO Coordination Committee for Iraq (NCCI). 15 July 2015. Archived (PDF) from the original on 29 October 2015.
- Parkinson, Jennifer Ann, ed. (1997). "Iraq". Irrigation in the Near East Region in Figures. Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). p. 103. ISBN 978-92-5-103969-4.
- Mohammad, Mohammad Hadi (2012). "Prevalence of Bovine Sarcocystosis in Babylon province (مجلة الكوفة للعلوم الطبية البيطرية)". Kufa Journal For Veterinary Medical Sciences. 3 (2): 78–83.
- Al-Morshidy, Kassim A. H. & Al-Amari, Moayed J. Y. (2015). "Detection of parasitic contamination in Hilla city drinking water / Babylon province/ Iraq" (PDF). Advances in Natural and Applied Sciences. 9 (3): 80–84.
- "Babil Governorate Profile" (PDF). United Nations Interagency Information Analysis Unit (IAU). 2007. Archived (PDF) from the original on 29 March 2015.
- Manii, Jwad K. (2014). "Using GIS to study the probability pollution of surface soil in Babylon province, Iraq" (PDF). IOSR Journal of Applied Geology and Geophysics (IOSR-JAGG). 2 (1): 14–18. Archived (PDF) from the original on 26 August 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Babylon Governorate.|
||Al Anbar Governorate||Baghdad Governorate||Diyala Governorate|
|Karbala Governorate||Wasit Governorate|
|Najaf Governorate||Al-Qādisiyyah Governorate|