August 2016 Aden bombing
|August 2016 Aden car bombing|
Part of the Aden unrest and the|
Yemeni Civil War (2015–present)
Location of Aden Governorate in Yemen.
|Location||Aden, Aden Governorate, Yemen|
|Date||29 August 2016|
|Target||Pro-Hadi army recruits|
|Suicide car bombings|
|Perpetrators||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
On the morning of Monday August 29, recruits at an army training camp queued in line for breakfast, which was brought into the compound by a truck. The suicide bomber, a suspected member of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, entered the compound behind this truck. He then drove his vehicle into the gathering of people, blowing himself up in a suicide car bomb attack and killing himself. The large explosion collapsed the roof of a building, burying many people while causing damage to nearby buildings. Debris from the bombing was found all over the compound. At least 72 people were killed while at least 67 people were injured.
Editor-in-Chief of Yemen Post Hakim Almasmari called the incident a massacre, while stating that it is the worst terrorist attack that has ever occurred in Aden. Although Al-Qaeda has a large presence in the area, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant were the only ones to claim responsibility for the bombing. The bombing was another in a series of recent terrorist attacks in Yemen, especially on soldiers and other public defense workers and recruits.
- List of terrorist incidents, 2016
- Yemeni civil war (2015–present)
- 23 May 2016 Yemen bombings
- June 2016 Mukalla attacks
- May 2016 Yemen police bombings
- "'IS suicide bomber' kills 71 army recruits in Yemen - The Manila Times Online". Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Isis suicide bomb attack kills at least 54 in Yemen". 29 August 2016. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Yemen: Death toll in ISIL's Aden bombing rises to 70". Retrieved 9 October 2016.