|Berġa ta' Alemanja|
Laying of the foundation stone of St Paul's Pro-Cathedral on 20 May 1839, with the remains of the auberge in the background
|Coordinates||35°54′2″N 14°30′43″E / 35.90056°N 14.51194°ECoordinates: 35°54′2″N 14°30′43″E / 35.90056°N 14.51194°E|
|Design and construction|
Auberge d'Allemagne (Maltese: Berġa ta' Alemanja) was an auberge in Valletta, Malta. It was built between 1571 and 1575 to house knights of the Order of Saint John from the langue of Germany. It was vacated in 1798 when the Order was expelled during the French occupation of Malta. By the 1830s, the building was used as the residence of the Chief Justice. It was demolished in 1839 to make way for St Paul's Pro-Cathedral. Auberge d'Allemagne was the only auberge in Malta to be intentionally demolished, since the other destroyed auberges were pulled down due to damage sustained in World War II.
The auberge was designed by the Maltese architect Girolamo Cassar, but almost nothing is known about the structure.
- "Auberges in Valletta". vassallohistory.wordpress.com. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- MacGill, Thomas (1839). A hand book, or guide, for strangers visiting Malta. Malta: Luigi Tonna. p. 63.
- "the auberges in valletta". angelfire.com. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "The houses of the Knights of St. John". malta.com. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- Schiavone, Michael J. (2009). Dictionary of Maltese Biographies Vol. 1 A-F. Pietà: Pubblikazzjonijiet Indipendenza. pp. 520–521. ISBN 9789993291329.