Assembly of the Republic (Northern Cyprus)
|Assembly of the Republic |
|14th Parliament of Northern Cyprus|
Leader of the Main Opposition of Northern Cyprus
Party-list proportional representation|
|28 July 2013|
Assembly of the Republic|
Köşklüçiftlik, North Nicosia,
|Assembly of the Norhern Cyprus|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
The Assembly of the Republic (Turkish: 'Cumhuriyet Meclisi') is the parliament of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. It has 50 members, elected for a five-year term by mitigated proportional representation. A party must cross the election threshold (5% of the total vote) to be awarded any seats. The parliament is composed of 50 MPs, chosen from five electoral districts, which are coterminous with the districts of Northern Cyprus: Lefkoşa, Gazimağusa, Girne, Güzelyurt and İskele.
In Northern Cyprus parliamentary elections, voters vote for individual candidates. There are two ways of voting.
- Voters can vote for a party, which in effect is voting for every MP candidate from that party in that district once. The voter can further prioritize the MPs in this kind of voting.
- Alternatively, the voter may not choose a party, but vote for candidates from different parties. In this kind of mixed voting, the voter cannot choose more than the number of MPs the district is allotted.
|Republican Turkish Party||477,209||38.38||21||+6|
|National Unity Party||339,864||27.33||14||–12|
|Communal Democracy Party||92,110||7.41||3||+1|
|United Cyprus Party||39,127||3.15||0||0|
The parliament building is located on Osmanpaşa Caddesi, opposite the Turkish embassy in North Nicosia. The building is a two-storey colonial structure.
Council of Europe assembly representation
In 2004, the Turkish Cypriot community was awarded "observer status" in the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE). Since then, the two Turkish Cypriot representatives to PACE are elected by the Assembly of Northern Cyprus.
- 2005–2007: CTP Özdil Nami; UBP Huseyin Ozgurgun
- 27 January 2011: CTP Mehmet Caglar; UBP Ahmet Eti
- 4 December 2013: CTP Mehmet Caglar; UBP Tahsin Ertugruloglu
- Adam Carr
- James Ker-Lindsay (UN SG's Former Special Representative for Cyprus) The Foreign Policy of Counter Secession: Preventing the Recognition of Contested States, p.149
- Today's Zaman
- "Official website of the Assembly of the Republic" (in Turkish). Archived from the original on 20 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- "List of deputies" (in Turkish). Official Website of the Assembly of the Republic. Archived from the original on 30 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-22.