Asia-Pacific or Asia Pacific (abbreviated as APAC, Asia-Pac, AsPac, APJ, JAPA or JAPAC) is the part of the world in or near the Western Pacific Ocean. The region varies in size depending on which context, but it typically includes much of East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, and Oceania.
The term may also include Russia (on the North Pacific) and countries in the Americas which are on the coast of the Eastern Pacific Ocean; the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, for example, includes Canada, Chile, Russia, Mexico, Peru, and the United States.
Alternatively, the term sometimes comprises all of Asia and Australasia as well as small/medium/large Pacific island nations (Asia Pacific and Australasian Continent) - for example when dividing the world into large regions for commercial purposes (e.g. into Americas, EMEA and Asia Pacific).
On the whole there appears to be no clear cut definition of "Asia Pacific" and the regions included change as per the context.
Though imprecise, the term has become popular since the late 1980s in commerce, finance and politics. In fact, despite the heterogeneity of the regions' economies, most individual nations within the zone are emerging markets experiencing rapid growth. (Compare the concept/acronym APEJ or APeJ - Asia-Pacific excluding Japan.)
The Asia-Pacific region generally includes:
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Marshall Islands
- Northern Mariana Islands
- Wake Island
Main countries and territories data
|Country / territory|| Area
|Population|| Pop. density
millions of USD (2014)
| GDP per capita
|British Indian Ocean Territory||54,400||3,000||58.3||-||-||Diego Garcia|
|Brunei||5,765||415,717||67.3||17,426||36,700||Bandar Seri Begawan|
|Hong Kong||1,104||7,234,800||6,544||292,677||30,000||Hong Kong|
|Papua New Guinea||462,840||6,732,000||15||16,096||1,200||Port Moresby|
- List of business region acronyms
- Geography of Asia
- Geography of Oceania
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
- South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)
- East Asian Summit
- Pacific Century
- Asian Century
- Asia Pacific Forum
- Asia-Pacific Network Information Centre
- Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada
- Asia Society
- See for example Pan, Hui, ed. (October 2004). "Vonage and Cisco to sell phone equipment". VoIP Monthly Newsletter. Information Gatekeepers Inc. 2 (10): 3. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
APEJ (Asia-Pacific Excluding Japan) and EEMEA (Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa) will grow their combined share of this figure from 17 percent to 22 percent during the same period, as North America's share adjusts from 53 percent to 46 percent.
- The Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada
- Asia Pacific Indigenous Youth Network (APIYN)
- BBC Asia-Pacific
- ABC Radio Australia Asia Pacific
- Australia Network (formerly "ABC Asia Pacific")