|Asahi Kasei Kabushiki-gaisha|
TOPIX 100 Component
Nikkei 225 Component
|Founded||(May 21, 1931 )|
|Headquarters||Jinbocho Mitsui Buildings, Kanda Jinbocho 1-105, Chiyoda, Tokyo 101-8101, Japan|
(Chairman of the Board)
|Revenue||¥ 1,897 billion) (FY 2014)|
$ 989.7 million (FY 2014)(¥ 101.29 billion) (FY 2014)
Number of employees
|29,127 (consolidated, as of March 31, 2014)|
Footnotes / references|
It was founded in May 1931, using the paid in capital of Nobeoka Ammonia Fiber Co., Ltd, a Nobeoka, Miyazaki based producer of ammonia, nitric acid, and other chemicals. Now headquartered in Tokyo, with offices and plants across Japan, as well as China, Singapore, Thailand, U.S.A. and Germany.
The company Asahi Kasei began in the year 1931 with the production of chemicals that included ammonia and nitric acids. In 1949, exchanges between stocks started up between Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya. Asahi Kasei entered into a joint petrochemical venture with Dow Chemical. A production of Polystyrene and Saran Wrap began in 1952. Diversification into acrylonitrile, construction materials, petrochemicals, glass fabrics, ethylene, housing, medical devices, electronics, engineered resins, semiconductors, pharmaceuticals and liquors began in the 1960s and 1990s. Net sales exceeded $10 billion globally in the years 2000-2003. Finally in the years 2008-2009, there was further diversification into medical devices.
The company makes about 18 billion dollars globally in annual net sales. Their core operating segments include:
- Chemicals (43.4%)
- Homes (27.2%)
- Healthcare (7.95%)
- Fibers (7%)
- Electronics (10%)
- Construction materials (3.3%)
- Services, engineering, and others (1.2%)
Asahi Kasei has won many awards over the years of being a company. These awards include the 2013 SPE Automotive Innovation Awards - "Most Innovative Use of Plastics" in the Materials Category for their Sunvieo: Ultrahigh MFR TPV, Nissan Sentra Instrument Panel Skin. Other awards include the 2012 SPE Automotive Innovation Awards for being the “Most Innovative Use of Plastics" again for the Materials Category for their Leona: 60% GF PA 66+6i with Class-A Surface for register vanes, Lincoln MKZ, Ford Fusion, Ford Escape. They won another award in 2011 at the SPE Automotive Innovation Awards for the "Most Innovative Use of Plastics" of Body Exterior Category, Thermylene: GF PP for largest injection molded & twin-sheet thermoformed cargo box, Ram Truck.<http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/asahi/en/aboutasahi/profile/ >
They currently employ 25,000 people and have a total of 54 manufacturing facilities found in different areas all over the world. Some of these places include North America, Europe, South Asia, East Asia, and Japan.
Their operations in North America are located in Michigan, New York, New Jersey, and Mexico. In Europe it has its site in Brussels, Milan. The sites in Japan are located in Tokyo, Kawasaki, Nobeoka, and Mizushima. The sites in South and East Asia are operate in Suzhou, Shanghai, Thailand, and Singapore.
Business segments and products
- Chemicals & Fibers
- Polymer products
- Specialty chemicals
- Homes & Construction Materials
- Foundation systems
- Insulation materials
- AAC-related products
- Structural materials
- Order-built homes
- Real estate–related operations
- Building remodeling
- Hall elements and Hall ICs
- Clean energy materials
- Optical and printing materials
- Electronic materials
- Health Care
- Blood transfusion devices
- Blood purification devices
- Bioprocess products: leukocyte reduction filters, virus removal filters
- Orthopedics and urology pharmaceuticals
- Critical care devices: defibrillators, wearable defibrillators, automated CPR systems, temperature management systems, data solutions
- Diagnostic reagents
- Nutritional products
Major Contributions of Xyron
Asahi Kasei’s product Xyron contributes several major advantages and contributions to the company. For instance, Xyron is a halogen-free flame retardancy. It has low mold shrinkage, paired with dimensional accuracy and stability. Xyron resists acid and alkalis and is created for electrical property. Not only does it have processability and workability, but contributes a low-water absorption, hot-water resistance, and hydrolytic stability. Xyron has a low-specific gravity of 1.06-1.10 (EEP/PS non-fill). Finally, it has a heat resistance of up to 85-170 degrees Celsius.
- "Corporate Profile". Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "Asahi Kasei Financial Statements". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "TOPIX Large70 Components" (PDF). Japan Exchange Group. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "Components:Nikkei Stock Average". Nikkei Inc. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "Asahi Kasei products". Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Asahi Kasei Corporation Website (English)
- "Company history books (Shashi)". Shashi Interest Group. April 2016. Wiki collection of bibliographic works on Asahi Kasei