Jean-Baptiste Armand Guillaumin|
16 February 1841
26 June 1927 86) (aged|
Born Jean-Baptiste Armand Guillaumin in Paris, he worked at his uncle's lingerie shop while attending evening drawing lessons. He also worked for a French government railway before studying at the Académie Suisse in 1861. There, he met Paul Cézanne and Camille Pissarro with whom he maintained lifelong friendships. While he never achieved the stature of these two, his influence on their work was significant. Cézanne attempted his first etching based on Guillaumin paintings of barges on the River Seine.
Guillaumin exhibited at the Salon des Refusés in 1863. He participated in six of the eight Impressionist exhibitions: 1874, 1877, 1880, 1881, 1882 and 1886.
In 1886, he became a friend of Vincent van Gogh whose brother, Theo sold some of his works. He was finally able to quit his government job and concentrate on painting full-time in 1891, when he won 100,000 francs in the state lottery.
Noted for their intense colours, Guillamin's paintings are represented in major museums around the world. He is best remembered for his landscapes of Paris, the Creuse département, and the area around Les Adrets-de-l'Estérel near the Mediterranean coast in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region of France. Guillamin was called the leader of the École de Crozant, a diverse group of painters who came to depict the landscape in the region of the Creuse around the village of Crozant. One of these depictions, titled Landscape in Crozant, is housed in the Chicago Institute of Arts. His bust is in the square near the village church.
The Seine, 1867
Sunset at Ivry (Soleil couchant à Ivry), 1873, 81 cm x 65 cm. Oil on canvas. Musee d'Orsay
La Place Valhubert, 1875
River Scene, c. 1890
The Haystacks, c. 1890-1895
Agay by Jean-Baptiste Armand Guillaumin, circa 1901
Snowy landscape in Crozant
Landscape with Ruins, 1897
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jean-Baptiste Armand Guillaumin.|
- Works by or about Armand Guillaumin at Internet Archive
- A biography of Armand Guillaumin.
- www.armandguillaumin.org 260 works by Armand Guillaumin
- www.comiteguillaumin.com Authenticate a painting from Armand Guillaumin
- Impressionism: a centenary exhibition, an exhibition catalog from The Metropolitan Museum of Art (fully available online as PDF), which contains material on Guillaumin (p. 108-109)
- Signac, 1863-1935, a fully digitized exhibition catalog from The Metropolitan Museum of Art Libraries, which contains material on Guillaumin (see index)