|Full name||Mario Lúcio Duarte Costa|
|Date of birth||November 17, 1980|
|Place of birth||Pouso Alegre, Brazil|
|Height||1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 28 October 2016.
Mário Lúcio Costa Duarte (born 17 November 1980), commonly known as Aranha, is a Brazilian football goalkeeper who currently plays for Campeonato Brasileiro Série A team Associação Atlética Ponte Preta.
Born in Pouso Alegre, Minas Gerais, Aranha graduated from Ponte Preta's youth system. His nickname emerged in his hometown, through his coach at the time (Ailton Custódio), as a reference to the Soviet goalkeeper Lev Yashin, known as "Black Spider" due to his kits and his great defenses. He served his first six professional years mostly as a third-choice, behind Alexandre Negri and Lauro. After the former's transfer to AC Ajaccio in 2004, and the latter's move to Cruzeiro in 2006, he was still unable to appear regularly, due to the arrival of Jean.
In the following year Jean left the side and Aranha was chosen as first-choice. On 21 February 2007, in a 0–1 loss at Villa Nova, he suffered a serious face injury which sidelined him for a month; after his return he saw a fellow youth graduate, Denis, in great form and was thus relegated to the bench. In 2008, Aranha was named best goalkeeper of the São Paulo State Championship, with his side eventually finishing second, losing to Palmeiras. Despite attracted interest from other clubs, he remained at Ponte, signing a new three-year deal on 19 December 2008.
On 26 May 2009, Aranha moved to Atlético Mineiro, after long negotiations. With Galo he only achieved mid-table positions, and despite appearing regularly in his first season, he served as a backup to young Renan Ribeiro during his second. He was released by the club on 17 December 2010.
In July 2013, after the departure of Rafael to Napoli, Aranha was handed the first-choice goalkeeper status in the squad, and was later praised for his performances. On 31 August he signed a new two-year deal, remaining at Santos until 2015. On 13 January 2015, after his deal expired, Aranha took legal action against Santos due to unpaid wages, the fifth player to do so. Eight days later, he rejected two proposals of rescision from Santos, preferring to wait for another decision from the court; he subsequently canceled his legal action against the club.
On 2 February 2015, Aranha signed a one-year deal with fellow league team Palmeiras, mainly as a backup to Fernando Prass. He started only one match for the club, a 2-2 draw against Ituano FC on 9 April 2015, and became a free agent after his contract expired at the end of the year.
Joinville / Ponte Preta return
On 28 August 2014, when Santos was facing Grêmio in Porto Alegre for the Round of 16 of the 2014 Copa do Brasil, Aranha was called macaco (monkey) by Grêmio supporters. He also accused them of making monkey sounds to provoke him. Grêmio later issued a statement in which the club condemns the acts of racism and promises to help identifying the racist supporters. The episode led to the return match against Grêmio being suspended until Brazil's superior sporting court can examine the case - the outcome could include Grêmio being disqualified from the championship, a punishment that was indeed made official on 3 September 2014.
On 21 January 2015, Aranha was again victim of racist acts, this time from a very small part of Santos' supporters, through a Facebook group. The people who insulted the player were reprimated and subsequently excluded from the group.
- "Histórico! Aranha completa 100 jogos pela Ponte no dérbi" [Historical! Aranha completes 100 games for Ponte in derby] (in Portuguese). Futebol Interior. 6 February 2009. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "Ponte Preta renova com goleiro Aranha por três anos" [Ponte Preta renews with goalkeeper Aranha for three years] (in Portuguese). O Estado de S. Paulo. 19 December 2008. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "Com a Ponte "no peito", Aranha acerta com Atlético Mineiro" [With Ponte "in the heart", Aranha signs with Atlético Mineiro]. IG Esporte. 26 May 2009. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "Aranha, Fernandinho e Fabiano estão fora dos planos do Galo" [Aranha, Fernandinho and Fabiano are out of Galo's plans] (in Portuguese). Lancenet. December 17, 2010. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- "Aranha aguarda exames médicos para ser anunciado pelo Santos" [Aranha waits on medical examinations to be announced by Santos] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. December 21, 2010. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- "Santos chega a acordo e acerta renovação contratual com Aranha" [Santos reaches agreement and renews with Aranha] (in Portuguese). Terra Esportes. December 9, 2012. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- Vieira, Vinicius (July 16, 2013). "Agora titular, Aranha comemora boa fase da equipe, mas alerta: "Não podemos deixar a euforia entrar"" [Currently a starter, Aranha celebrates team's good run, but warns: "We can not let the euphoria come in"] (in Portuguese). Santos FC. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- "Em alta, goleiro Aranha renova contrato com o Santos até 2015" [High regarded, goalkeeper Aranha renews contract with Santos until 2015] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 31 August 2013. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "Santos é informado que Aranha também entrou na Justiça e irá para o Palmeiras" [Santos is informed that Aranha took a legal action and will be going to Palmeiras] (in Portuguese). ESPN Brasil. 13 January 2015. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Aranha rejeita ofertas de acordo com Santos, e juiz agenda nova audiência" [Aranha rejects offers of agreement with Santos, and the judge schedules another audience] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 21 January 2015. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Aranha chega a acordo, rescinde com o Santos e desiste de ação na Justiça" [Aranha reaches agreement, rescinds with Santos and gives up on legal action at the Court] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 27 January 2015. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- "Novo reforço, goleiro Aranha assina contrato com o Verdão até o final do ano" [New signing, goalkeeper Aranha signs contract with Verdão until the end of the year] (in Portuguese). Palmeiras' official website. 2 February 2015. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- "Sem clube, Aranha diz que gostaria de ter renovado com o Palmeiras" [Without a club, Aranha says he wanted to renew with Palmeiras]. GloboEsporte.com (in Portuguese). 7 February 2016. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Aranha é registrado no Joinville, e goleiro trabalha para ficar à disposição". GloboEsporte.com (in Portuguese). 28 June 2016. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "De volta, Aranha é apresentado e já quer atuar sábado pela Ponte Preta" [Returning, Aranha is presented and already wants to play on Saturday for Ponte Preta] (in Portuguese). Terra. 9 August 2016. Retrieved 16 September 2016.
- Azzoni, Tales (29 August 2014). "Brazilian club promises to punish racist fans". The Big Story. São Paulo: Associated Press. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "Nota oficial - Grêmio repudia ato de racismo". Grêmio.net (in Portuguese). 29 September 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- Guichard, Diego; Costa, Felippe; Rotstein, Gustavo (3 September 2014). "Grêmio é excluído da Copa do Brasil após julgamento por injúrias raciais". Globo Esporte (in Portuguese). Rio de Janeiro: Grupo Globo. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Goleiro Aranha sofre insultos racistas dos próprios santistas" [Goalkeeper Aranha suffers racist insults from the santistas] (in Portuguese). O Estado de S. Paulo. 21 January 2015. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Aranha; Global Sports Media. Retrieved on 27 March 2014
- Campeonatos; PontePreta.net. Retrieved on 27 March 2014. (Portuguese)