Anglesea Barracks

Anglesea Barracks
Hobart, Tasmania

The two story Soldiers' Barracks at Anglesea Barracks. This building was built between 1847 and 1848.
Coordinates 42°53′19″S 147°19′32″E / 42.888745°S 147.325496°E / -42.888745; 147.325496Coordinates: 42°53′19″S 147°19′32″E / 42.888745°S 147.325496°E / -42.888745; 147.325496
Type Army post
Site information
Controlled by Australian Army
Site history
Built 1814
In use 1814–present

Anglesea Barracks is an Australian Defence Force barracks in central Hobart, Tasmania. The site was chosen in December 1811 by Lachlan Macquarie and construction began on the first buildings to occupy the site in 1814.

It is the oldest Australian Army barracks still in use and it celebrated its bicentenary in December 2011.[1]

Despite the small variation in spelling it was named after Henry Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey who was involved with the Board of Ordnance.[2]

Current units and facilities

It is home to various civilian and military departments including:

Angelsea Barracks messing

The Sergeants' Mess in 2010

The barracks contains an Officers' Mess, Sergeants' Mess and the McGee VC Soldier Club.

Other facilities

It also houses, in the old gaol, the Military Museum of Tasmania.



External links

Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anglesea Barracks.
This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 10/14/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.