16 July 1964|
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
|Occupation||television and radio personality|
Andrew 'Andy' Maher (born 16 July 1964) is an Australian journalist and television sports presenter for Network Ten and Melbourne sport radio station 1116 SEN. He is best known for covering both Australian rules football and the Big Bash League for the Ten television network, as well as hosting AFL review program Before the Game.
Maher hosted The Fifth Quarter (post-match show, following Saturday Night AFL), between 2004 & 2007 (with Michael Christian) & 2009 and 2011 with rotating expert commentators Malcolm Blight, Matthew Lloyd & Luke Darcy.
Maher began working for weekly football newspaper 'Inside Football' as a staff writer. He progressed to be the paper's assistant editor. He then moved on to The Sunday Age, where he worked as Football Editor in the late 1990s.
In 1996, he joined television production company Vuecast (now AFL Films) after it landed the contract to supply content for the Pay TV operator 'Sports AFL' as part of the Optus Vision network. As part of its Pay TV coverage of AFL football, Andrew mixed duties as host of 'One on One', the producer of its Monday night show, Football Feedback, and as the station's boundary rider on its exclusive match-day coverage. Joining Channel 7 in 2001, he produced the highly acclaimed "Talking Footy" while sharing boundary line duties on Channel 7's football coverage.
In 2002, Maher moved to Channel 10 after they, with Channel 9 and Foxtel won the rights to broadcast the AFL from Channel 7. He has multiple roles at Channel 10, working on-air and also as a part of their AFL/Sports production teams.
Maher's Channel 10 on-air contributions are as the boundary rider for their Saturday afternoon coverage, the host of their Saturday night preview show "Before the Game" as well as on the Saturday night review show, The Fifth Quarter as co-host (with Michael Christian).
In 2013 Maher commentated for Network Ten's coverage of the T20 Big Bash League. In addition to the Cricket, Maher is a roving sport reporter across the board for Ten Sport, including the Formula 1; MotoGP; Golf; Tennis and Athletics (Commonwealth Games & Stawell Gift) among others. Andy continued his hosting duties for popular AFL show Before the Game on Network Ten as well, until it was axed at the end of 2013.
Maher was the host and presenter on Melbourne Radio Station SEN 1116 morning show Morning Glory until end of 2015, where he took over from Garry Lyon, after beating Jim Wilson and Tony Jones for the role. He now hosts Afternoons from 12pm weekdays.
Maher contributes on the following programmes:
- Monday's Experts, Monday review show showing highlights of the just-past round of AFL with analysis and stat's, co-hosted with former AFL footballer Jarrod Molloy
- FREE Friday's Tip-Off, where he and, SEN partner, Billy Brownless preview the round of football that is about to commence and provide information about why and who punters should tip in their tipping competitions.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2 January 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-03.
- Knox, David (30 September 2011). "Andrew Maher joins Fox Sports FC". TV Tonight. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Channel 10 axes AFL comedy show Before the Game". 13 December 2013.
- McClure, Geoff (6 December 2004). "Sporting Life". The Age. Melbourne.