American Canyon, California
|American Canyon, California|
"Welcome to American Canyon; The Gateway to the Napa Valley" sign
Nickname(s): Gateway to the Napa Valley|
Location in Napa County and the state of California
American Canyon, California
Location in the United States
|Coordinates: 38°10′5″N 122°15′9″W / 38.16806°N 122.25250°WCoordinates: 38°10′5″N 122°15′9″W / 38.16806°N 122.25250°W|
|Incorporated||January 1, 1992|
|• Mayor||Leon Garcia|
|• Total||4.845 sq mi (12.548 km2)|
|• Land||4.837 sq mi (12.527 km2)|
|• Water||0.008 sq mi (0.021 km2) 0.17%|
|Elevation||46 ft (14 m)|
|• Density||4,000/sq mi (1,600/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1668253|
American Canyon (previously known as Napa Junction) is a city located in southern Napa County, California, 35 miles (56 km) northeast of San Francisco in the San Francisco Bay Area. The 2010 census reported the city's population at 19,454. Its ZIP Code is 94503, and its area code is 707. It is in the Pacific Time time zone and observes Daylight-Saving Time. The city was incorporated in 1992.
American Canyon is bounded geographically by the Napa River to the west, the foothills of the Sulfur Springs Mountains to the east, Vallejo and Solano County to the south and vineyards and the Napa County Airport (IATA airport code APC) to the north. American Canyon Creek, a tributary of the Napa River, runs through the city.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.8 square miles (12 km2), of which 99.83% is land and 0.17% is water.
The unincorporated community of Napa Junction is adjacent to the city.
On August 24, 2014, at 3:20 a.m., the area was struck by a magnitude 6.0 earthquake centered 3.7 miles (6.0 km) northwest of the city.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, American Canyon has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
American Canyon is the second most populous city in Napa County, after the City of Napa.
The 2010 United States Census reported that American Canyon had a population of 19,454. The population density was 4,015.4 people per square mile (1,550.4/km²). The racial makeup of American Canyon was 7,564 (38.9%) White, 1,535 (7.9%) African American, 142 (0.7%) Native American, 6,396 (32.9%) Asian, 176 (0.9%) Pacific Islander, 2,357 (12.1%) from other races, and 1,284 (6.6%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5,009 persons (25.7%).
The Census reported that 99.7% of the population lived in households and 0.3% lived in non-institutionalized group quarters.
There were 5,657 households, out of which 2,805 (49.6%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 3,527 (62.3%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 751 (13.3%) had a female householder with no husband present, 335 (5.9%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 296 (5.2%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 42 (0.7%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 765 households (13.5%) were made up of individuals and 309 (5.5%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.43. There were 4,613 families (81.5% of all households); the average family size was 3.78.
The population was spread out with 5,496 people (28.3%) under the age of 18, 1,764 people (9.1%) aged 18 to 24, 5,234 people (26.9%) aged 25 to 44, 5,095 people (26.2%) aged 45 to 64, and 1,865 people (9.6%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35.5 years. For every 100 females there were 96.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.6 males.
There were 5,982 housing units at an average density of 1,234.7 per square mile (476.7/km²), of which 78.5% were owner-occupied and 21.5% were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 2.6%; the rental vacancy rate was 3.8%. 77.4% of the population lived in owner-occupied housing units and 22.4% lived in rental housing units.
The 2000 census reported 9,774 people in the city, organized into 3,209 households and 2451 families. The U. S. Census Bureau reported the population of the city as 19,454 as of 2010, an increase of 99%. The city government estimated the population at 19,862 as of 2013, citing statistics from the California Department of Finance Demographic Research Unit.
The 2000 population density was 2,368.0 people per square mile (913.7/km²). There were 3274 housing units at an average density of 793.2 per square mile (306.1/km²).
There are 3209 households out of which 38.1% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.1% are married couples living together, 12.6% have a female householder with no husband present, and 23.6% are non-families. 18.7% of all households are made up of individuals and 9.3% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 3.0 and the average family size is 3.4.
In the city the population is spread out with 28.4% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 28.1% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 13.4% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 37 years. For every 100 females there are 97.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 92.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city is $52,105, and the median income for a family is $61,536. Males have a median income of $42,358 versus $29,211 for females. The per capita income for the city is $18,440. 8.8% of the population and 6.8% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 9.6% of those under the age of 18 and 10.6% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
The mayor of American Canyon is popularly elected to a four-year term. The current mayor is Leon Garcia. City Council members are elected to four-year terms, and select one of their members to serve as Vice Mayor. The current Vice Mayor is Joan Bennett, and the other City Council members are Mark Joseph, Belia Ramos and Kenneth Leary. Leon Garcia is serving his fourth term as mayor.
- AmCan park not open, but patrons are still playing - Vallejo Times Herald
- "California Cities by Incorporation Date". California Association of Local Agency Formation Commissions. Archived from the original (Word) on November 3, 2014. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- "Mayor & City Councilmembers". City of American Canyon. Retrieved February 15, 2015.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files – Places – California". United States Census Bureau.
- "American Canyon". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- Yune, Howard (September 11, 2016). "American Canyon dedicates 9/11 monument on 15th anniversary of attacks". Napa Valley Register. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- Former name of American Canyon; SCT - Shopping Centers Today Online
- Noonan, James (March 9, 2011). "U.S. Census: AmCan doubled in size, Upvalley cities lost population". Napa Valley Register. Napa, California. p. 1. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- "BBC News - Earthquake rocks northern California". BBC Online. August 24, 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "M6.0 - 6km NW of American Canyon, California". USGS. August 24, 2014. Retrieved August 24, 2014.
- Climate Summary for American Canyon, California
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "2010 Census Interactive Population Search: CA - American Canyon city". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- City of American Canyon, State of the City: A Report to the Community, March 2014
- Private-sector employers -- Napa County
- Waterson, Michael (September 15, 2011). "Mezzetta may forget about American Canyon expansion". Napa Valley Register. Napa, CA: Lee Enterprises, Inc. Retrieved September 15, 2011.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- "California's 5th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 3, 2013.