Amarula is a cream liqueur from South Africa. It is made with sugar, cream and the fruit of the African marula tree (Sclerocarya birrea) which is also locally called the Elephant tree or the Marriage Tree. It has an alcohol content of 17% by volume. It has had some success at international spirit ratings competitions, winning a gold medal at the 2006 San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
Amarula was first marketed by Southern Liqueur Company of South Africa (the current trademark owners and wholly owned subsidiary of Distell Group Limited) as a liqueur in September 1989, the Amarula spirit having been launched in 1983. It has the taste of slightly fruity caramel.
Amarula has had particular success in Brazil. Recently, Amarula has attempted to break into the American market.
Elephants enjoy eating the fruit of the marula tree. Because of the marula tree's association with elephants, the distiller has made them its symbol and supports elephant conservation efforts, co-funding the Amarula Elephant Research Programme at the University of Natal, Durban. For marketing efforts it produces elephant-themed collectible items.
- "Amarula Cream Liqueur: Ratings and Review Summary for Amarula". Proof66.com.
- Datta, P.T. Jyothi (July 7, 2007). "Capturing the taste of Africa". The Hindu Business Line. Kasturi & Sons. Archived from the original on 16 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- Gugulakhe Masango, Gugulakhe (April 5, 2007). "Amarula gunning for top spot". Fin24.com. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- Kirkby, Arnold (25 January 2002). "Amarula - from the plains of Africa to the heart of America". Retrieved 26 October 2015.
- "Preliminary results of the Pilanesberg Elephant Project". Elephant Projects. University of Natal. Archived from the original on 2 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- "Amarula launches on-pack Win-an-Elephant promotion". TalkingRetail.com. Metropolis International Group. November 19, 2007. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- Official website (age-restricted access)
- Amarula Trust (age restricted access)
- Gourmet Review of Amarula Liqueur in the West Coast Midnight Run art book 2013 edition