|Public (LSE: ALM)|
|Headquarters||Boston, United States|
Peter Dolan, (Chairman)|
Chris Silva, (CEO)
|Revenue||£3.3 million (2015)|
|£(96.7) million (2015)|
|£(98.0) million (2015)|
Allied Minds plc is an American intellectual property (IP) commercialization company. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index. The company has technology transfer agreements with over 160 partners, including 34 U.S. federal research facilities, as well as university labs such as Harvard and New York University. It reviews thousands of IP assets per year, and forms, funds and manages start-ups that operate as subsidiaries. This IP commercialization model is relatively new to the US.
The company was established by Mark Pritchard to exploit opportunities in intellectual property in 2004. Chris Silva was appointed Chief Executive Officer and DIrector of the Company in 2006. It entered into an innovative arrangement with the United States Department of Defense in 2012 whereby incubation stage companies are formed to allow advanced technology to be prepared for the market: early examples included advanced technologies for wireless and internet networking. This private-public partnership was expanded to the U.S. Army's Research Development, and Engineering Command; the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division, and the Aerospace Corp. In October 2013, Allied Minds signed an agreement with The MITRE Corp. to share intellectual property and technology in the cyber and mobile security field. This partnership was later expanded in July 2016 to provide Allied Minds’ federal intellectual property division Allied Minds Federal Innovations (AMFI) exclusive access to its portfolio. The company completed an initial public offering in June 2014. In August 2014, Allied Minds announced a joint venture with Bristol-Myers Squibb called Allied-Bristol Life Sciences to form new biotech companies based on discoveries within its university laboratory network. The partnership received new funding in April 2016 to boost the pre-clinical development of new drugs. In September 2016, Allied Minds announced a partnership with General Electric Co.’s venture capital unit to jointly invest in new companies based on both GE’s R&D in healthcare, transportation, energy, and big data, as well as intellectual property from Allied Minds’ network of U.S. federal and university research partners. Under the terms of the agreement, Allied Minds and GE Ventures plan to invest in existing Allied Minds subsidiaries, technologies that GE develops in-house and desires to spin out, and new startups sourced from both companies.
- "Annual Report 2015" (PDF). Allied Minds. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- Alspach, Kyle. "Allied Minds Is Boston's Quietest Billion-Dollar Tech Company". BostInno. StreetWise Media. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- Bond, Shannon (12 August 2016). "Allied Minds: The search for fortune and glory". Financial Times. Financial Times. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
- Cline, Keith. "Allied Minds' John Serafini: From Airborne Ranger to Venture Creator". VentureFizz. VentureFizz. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "US university spin-off group Allied Minds plans LONDON IPO". Ft.com. 20 May 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Allied Minds PLC (ALML.L)". Reuters. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- Koetsier, John. "Allied Minds and the DOD: 50,000 scientists at 100 labs creating technologies fueling 100 startups a year". VentureBeat. VentureBeat. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- "Allied Minds: Boston firm details first two startups in Federal deal". X Economy. 13 December 2011. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- Anders, George (12 September 2012). "An Unusual Venture Capitalist Scours Military Labs for Ideas". Forbes. Forbes. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- Harris, David (25 March 2014). "Allied Minds, MITRE partnership means more funding for cyber security". American City Business Journal. Boston Business Journal. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- Schwartz, David. "Allied Minds and MITRE partner to spin out innovations and launch new companies". Tech Transfer eNews Blog. Tech Transfer Central. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- "Allied Minds prices London IPO at 190 pence per share". Reuters. 20 June 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- Seiffert, Don (5 August 2014). "Allied Minds and Bristol Myers to start 10 new biotechs in next five years". American City Business Journals. Boston Business Journal. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- Seiffert, Don (28 April 2016). "Allied Minds, Bristol Myers commit another $100M to develop 10 drugs". American City Business Journals. Boston Business Journal. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- Harris, David (29 September 2016). "GE's venture arm, Allied Minds team up to fund next-generation tech". American City Business Journals. Boston Business Journal. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- Engel, Jeff (29 September 2016). "GE, Allied Minds to Invest in Startups Amid Evolving Funding Market". Xconomy. Xconomy. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "About Us". Allied Minds: About Us. Retrieved 8 September 2016.