1967 (age 48–49)|
Brooklyn, New York
Allegra Goodman (born 1967) is an American author based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Her most recent novel, The Cookbook Collector, was published in 2010. Goodman wrote and illustrated her first novel at the age of seven.
Early years and family
Goodman was raised a Conservative Jew in Honolulu, Hawaii. She graduated from Punahou School in 1985. Goodman then went on to Harvard University, where she earned an A.B. degree and met her husband, David Karger. Both were regulars at Harvard Hillel, and prayed in Harvard Hillel Orthodox Minyan. They then went on to do graduate work at Stanford University, where Goodman earned a Ph.D. degree in English literature. Her mother, the late Madeline Goodman, was a genetics and women's studies professor, then assistant vice president at the University of Hawaii at Manoa for many years, before moving on to Vanderbilt University in the 1990s. Her father, Lenn E. Goodman, is a professor of philosophy at Vanderbilt. Goodman's younger sister, Paula Fraenkel, is an oncologist. Fraenkel's experience in research labs is one of the inspirations for Goodman's 2006 novel Intuition.
Goodman and Karger live in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where Karger is a professor in computer science at MIT. They have four children, three boys and a girl.
- 1991 Whiting Award for Fiction
- Kaaterskill Falls (The Dial Press 1998; paperback Dial Press Trade Paperback 1999) ISBN 0-385-32389-1, ISBN 0-385-32390-5
- Paradise Park (The Dial Press 2001, Dial Press Trade Paperback 2002) ISBN 0-385-33416-8, ISBN 0-385-33418-4
- Intuition (The Dial Press 2006), ISBN 0-385-33612-8
- The Other Side of the Island (New York: Razorbill, 2008) ISBN 978-1-59514-196-5
- The Cookbook Collector (The Dial Press 2010) ISBN 978-0-385-34085-4
Short story collections
- Total Immersion (Harper & Row 1989; paperback Dial Press Trade Paperback 1998) ISBN 0-06-015998-7, ISBN 0-385-33299-8
- The Family Markowitz (Farrar Straus & Giroux 1996; softcover Washington Square Press 1997) ISBN 0-374-15321-3, ISBN 0-671-01388-2
- Allegra Goodman's webpage
- Allegra Goodman profile at Bookreporter.com
- Profile at The Whiting Foundation
- 2006 Newspaper article on Allegra Goodman
- 2006 MSNBC article on Allegra Goodman
- 2006 Allegra Goodman interview in the Washington Post
- Allegra Goodman entry on The Literary Encyclopedia