Allamal insaana maa lam ya’lam(English translation) Teach man what he did not know.
|Type||Engineering, Management Studies, Vocational education, and Research Institute|
1780: Aliya Madrasah
|Chancellor||Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi, Honourable Governor of West Bengal.|
Dr. Abu Taleb Khan|
Prof. Syed Samsul Alam (Ex)
|Location||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Campus||Park Circus, New Town, Taltala|
|Affiliations||UGC, AICTE, Government of West Bengal|
Aliah University (Bengali: আলিয়া বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়, informally known as AU), is a state government controlled minority autonomous university in New Town, West Bengal, India. Previously known as Mohammedan College of Calcutta, it was elevated to university in 2008. It offers multiple modern day professional undergraduate and postgraduate programs in different Engineering, Arts, Science and Management subjects respectively. Professor Abu Taleb Khan is its present vice chancellor.
Aliah University has with it the rich heritage of the 235-year-old educational and cultural institution, Mohammedan College of Calcutta, popularly known as Madrasah-i-Aliah or Calcutta Madrasah, the first educational institution set up in India in 1780 by Warren Hastings, the then Governor General of Bengal Presidency. Thus, one of the oldest centres of higher learning and culture, the institution is steeped in history. Many eminent scholars were associated with this institution as administrators, principals, teachers as well as students.
- Chancellor (Amir-I-Jamia) : Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi, Governor of West Bengal.
- Vice-Chancellor (Shaikh-Ul-Jamia) : Prof. Dr. Abu Taleb Khan
- Registrar (Musajjil) : Dr. Anwar Hussain Dafadar
- Deputy Registrar : Dr. SK Ashfaque Ali
- Controller of Examinations : (Mudir-Ul-Imtihanat): Dr. Tanvir Ahmed
- Officer on Special Duty : (Al-Muazzaf-Al-Khass) Dr. Ansar Alam
- Assistant Controller : Akhtaruzzaman
Admission to most undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Aliah University is granted through written entrance examinations. Admission to M.S. and Ph.D. programmes is based primarily on a personal interview, though candidates have to take written tests as well. But Ph.D programme is open to all, not only for the Aliah Universities students.
Admission to undergraduate programmes is based on merit rank of the "Aliah University Admission Test" (AUAT), which consists of a written examination of multiple choice type questions (MCQ), clearing of which leads to an interview and final selection of the candidate. Candidates who qualify for admission through AUAT can apply for admission to LLM. ( Masters of Law ), B.Tech. (Bachelor of Technology), Integrated MBA (Master of Business Administration), Integrated MCA (Master of Computer Applications), Integrated M.Sc. (Master of Science) and Integrated M.A. (Master of Arts) courses in different Engineering, Business, Science and Arts subjects. Currently,Aliah University started M.Tech. (Master of Technology). But for now only the student who have completed their B.tech from Aliah University they are eligible to take admission here.
Chief minister Mamata Banerjee of West Bengal laid the foundation stone of 'Aliah University Campus' at Rajarhat on 15 December 2011. Later on 11 November 2014 Mamata Banerjee inaugurated the finished campus. New Town campus contains 156 class rooms with a capacity of 12000 students and houses Science and Technology students only. The campus also has separate boy's and girl's hostel currently under construction. New Town campus also has three annexure buildings dedicated for various laboratories and a central library.
Coats of Arms of Aliah University
Aliah University,Science & Technology Campus,Rajarhat
B-Ed Campus-Aliah University
Auditorium and Mosque of Aliah University,Science and Technology Campus
Aliah University City Campus,Park Circus
|ENGINEERING||MANAGEMENT SCIENCES||COMMERCE & BUSINESS||SCIENCES||HUMANITIES & LANGUAGES||HUMANITIES & SOCIAL SCIENCES||THEOLOGY|
Aliah University has three libraries in its three different campuses.All of them the library of Newtown Campus has a central library including 1.33lac books.
Aliah University has a library rich in collection of literature in Islamic Theology, Islamic Jurisprudence & Law, and Arabic.
The library is now diversifying in the areas of Science, Engineering, Management Science, Humanities and Social Sciences.
- List of oldest universities in continuous operation
- University of Calcutta
- Colleges and institutes in India
- List of universities in India
- University Grants Commission (India)
- Education in India
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (India)
- "IIT Guwahati professor to become new VC of Aliah University". TwoCircles. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- "Aliah University". IndiaSite Official. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Aliah University". Higher Education in India. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Aliah University". UGC Official Website. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Aliah University, India". Study Abroad Universities. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Gallery.aspx?id=11_11_2014_009_024&type=A&eid=31812. Missing or empty
- "CM lays foundation of Aliah varsity campus at Rajarhat". Times of India. Retrieved 14 January 2013.