Alfred E. Senn
Alfred Erich Senn (April 12, 1932 – March 8, 2016) was a professor of history at the University of Wisconsin–Madison.
Senn was born in Madison, Wisconsin to Swiss philologist and lexicographer, Alfred Senn. His father taught at the University of Lithuania, where he met his future wife. After they married, they moved to the United States 1930–1931, along with two daughters. Alfred E. Senn was born in the United States.
Senn received a BA in 1953 from the University of Pennsylvania and then an MA in 1955 and a Ph.D. in 1958 from Columbia University in East European history. He has taught at the University of Wisconsin–Madison since 1961, from which he retired as professor emeritus.
Senn is the author of eight books, several monographs, and numerous scholarly articles. Many of his works center on the history of Lithuania. His book, Gorbachev’s Failure in Lithuania, was awarded the Edgar Anderson Presidential Prize by the American Association of Baltic Studies in 1996. He died at his home in Madison on March 8, 2016.
- Lithuania 1940: Revolution from Above. Amsterdam: Ropodi, 2007. ISBN 978-90-420-2225-6
- Power, Politics, and the Olympic Games. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 1999. ISBN 978-0-88011-958-0
- Gorbachev's Failure in Lithuania. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1995. ISBN 978-0-312-12457-1
- Lithuania Awakening. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1990. ISBN 978-0-520-07170-4
- Assassination in Switzerland: The Murder of Vatslav Vorovsky. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1981. ISBN 978-0-299-08550-6
- Jonas Basanavičius, the Patriarch of the Lithuanian National Renaissance. Newtonville, MA: Oriental Research Partners, 1980. ISBN 978-0-89250-251-6
- Nicholas Rubakin: A Life for Books. Newtonville, MA: Oriental Research Partners, 1977. ISBN 978-0-89250-125-0
- Diplomacy and Revolution: the Soviet Mission to Switzerland, 1918. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 1974. ISBN 978-0-268-00541-2
- The Russian Revolution in Switzerland, 1914-1917. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1971. ISBN 978-0-299-05941-5
- The Great Powers, Lithuania and the Vilna Question 1920-1928. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1966. OCLC 398265
- The Emergence of Modern Lithuania. New York: Columbia University Press, 1959. OCLC 1624803
- Jungtinių Amerikos Valstijų Lietuviai: biografijų žinynas, Vol. 2 (Mokslo ir enciklopedijų leidybos institutas, 2002: ISBN 5-420-01513-7), p. 231.
- Alfred E. Senn. Lithuania 1940: Revolution from Above. Amsterdam: Ropodi, 2007. p. 5.
- Directory of Foreign Area Training Fellows, 1952-1959 (Ford Foundation, 1960), p. 141.
- Alfred Erich Senn – short bio