Alexander Hall (Princeton University)
|Full name||Richardson Auditorium in Alexander Hall|
Class of 1975 WalkPrinceton, NJ 08544
|Public transit||Princeton Branch (The Dinky)|
|Opened||9 June 1894|
|Coordinates||40°20′54″N 74°39′38.1″W / 40.34833°N 74.660583°WCoordinates: 40°20′54″N 74°39′38.1″W / 40.34833°N 74.660583°W|
|Architect||William Appleton Potter|
|Part of||Princeton Historic District (#75001143)|
|Added to NRHP||27 June 1975|
Alexander Hall is a 900-seat Richardsonian Romanesque assembly hall at Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey. It is home to both the Princeton University Orchestra and the Princeton Symphony Orchestra.
The name honors three generations of members of the Alexander family who served as trustees to the University. Mrs. Harriet Crocker Alexander donated the money for such a building to be named in honor of her relatives: her husband Charles B. Alexander (class of 1870), his father Henry M. Alexander (class of 1840), a college trustee and member of the Committee on Commencement Arrangements, and his grandfather Reverend Dr. Archibald Alexander (founder of the Princeton Theological Seminary and its first professor, honorary Princeton doctorate 1810) It was built to accommodate large meetings and commencement for students and faculty. Over time, the Hall became available to the public and now holds town meetings as well as visiting concert groups. Many vocal and performing groups seek this auditorium because the acoustics inside the rusticated brownstone and red granite walls and turrets rival Carnegie Hall.
The architect, William Appleton Potter (1842–1909) landed his first design commission on the Princeton campus when he was a teenager. Architects of the first half of the nineteenth century learned as apprentices on the construction site, but Potter learned his art in college.
Detail of the left portion of the mosaic by Jacob Adolphus Holzer
Richardson auditorium during a speech by Shirley Tilghman
Detail of facade with dedication by Harriet Crocker Alexander
Detail of the sculpture on the facade by J. Massey Rhind
- "Princeton Historic District" (PDF). National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Richardson Auditorium". Princeton University Concerts.
- Princeton University - The Campus Guide
- Westminster Choir at Alexander Hall Documentary produced by NJTV
- Princeton University Orchestra.
- Princeton Symphony Orchestra.