Rizzo is a native of Colorado. She participated in track and cross country at Sierra High School (class of 1993) in Colorado Springs, where she was later inducted into the athletic hall of fame. Though she earned an undergraduate degree in international business, Rizzo's interests shifted away from the business world. She returned to the University of Colorado at Boulder, where she received an M.A. in broadcast journalism in 2003.
After stints as a sports anchor for CBS stations in Wichita Falls, Texas, and Madison, Wisconsin, Rizzo became a reporter for Root Sports Rocky Mountain. She won three Regional Emmy awards. She worked at MLB Network from early 2012 until late 2013. She reported for the shows Intentional Talk and Quick Pitch on MLB Network.
She is married to hotel executive Justin Kole. In 2012, Rizzo tweeted, "I have gotten this question 1,000 times. Although I have 3 relatives named Anthony Rizzo, I'm NOT related to the @Cubs Anthony Rizzo."
- Dilbeck, Steve (December 8, 2013). "Dodgers hire Orel Hershiser as new team broadcaster". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- Rhodes, Bethany (April 20, 2008). "Sports-lover's dream job". The Gazette. Retrieved April 17, 2015.
- Saunders, Dusty (July 27, 2009). "Rizzo makes smooth transition to TV". Denver Post. Retrieved April 18, 2015.
- "Alanna Rizzo | MLB Network: On-Air Personalities". Mlb.mlb.com. 2012-05-25. Retrieved 2012-06-16.
- "Twitter page: Alanna Rizzo". Twitter. July 30, 2012. Retrieved April 17, 2015.