28 September 1927|
|Died||7 December 2013 86)(aged|
He won the Grand Prix at the 1973 Cannes Film Festival for his film The Hireling. His film Out of Season (1975) was entered into the 25th Berlin International Film Festival and film The Shooting Party (1985) was entered into the 14th Moscow International Film Festival. For television, Bridges directed several works by David Mercer and Dennis Potter.
Peter Bradshaw on theguardian.com film blog wrote: "Bridges was a brilliant poet and cinematic satirist – in tones both mordant and melancholy – of the English class system of the early 20th century, and a director with a flair for psychology and interior crisis, as evidenced by movies like The Return of the Soldier (1982) and The Shooting Party (1985)."
- Invasion (1965)
- Les Miserables (TV, 1967)
- Traitor (TV, 1971)
- Follow the Yellow Brick Road (TV, 1972)
- The Hireling (1973)
- Brief Encounter (1974)
- Joe's Ark (TV, 1974)
- Out of Season (1975)
- La petite fille en velours bleu (1978)
- Rain on the Roof (TV, 1980)
- The Return of the Soldier (1982)
- The Shooting Party (1985)
- Ronald Bergan Obituary: Alan Bridges, The Guardian, 29 January 2014
- "Festival de Cannes: The Hireling". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- "IMDB.com: Awards for Out of Season". imdb.com. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- "14th Moscow International Film Festival (1985)". MIFF. Archived from the original on 16 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- Peter Bradshaw "Alan Bridges: a director of genuine if occasionally overlooked brilliance", theguardian.com (film blog), 24 January 2014