Alabama–Penn State football rivalry
December 19, 1959|
Penn State 7, Alabama 0
September 10, 2011|
Alabama 27, Penn State 11
|All-time series||Alabama leads, 10–5|
Alabama, 42–21 (1982)|
Alabama, 24–3 (2010)
|Longest win streak||Alabama, 4 (1975–82)|
|Current win streak||Alabama, 2 (2010–)|
The Alabama–Penn State football rivalry is an American college football rivalry between the Alabama Crimson Tide football team of the University of Alabama and Penn State Nittany Lions football team of Pennsylvania State University. Dormant since 1990, the series was renewed in 2010 in Tuscaloosa and then 2011 in State College.
1959 Liberty Bowl
1975 Sugar Bowl
1979 Sugar Bowl
Alabama scored in the second quarter, then Penn State answered in the third, then Alabama took a 14–7 lead on a touchdown set up by a 62-yard punt return. Penn State had a chance to tie in the fourth, but Chuck Fusina threw an interception into the Alabama end zone. Then the Crimson Tide had a chance to put the game away, but fumbled the football back to Penn State at the Nittany Lion 19-yard-line with four minutes to go. Penn State drove to a first and goal at the Alabama eight. On third and goal from the one, Fusina asked Bama linebacker Marty Lyons "What do you think we should do?", and Lyons answered "You'd better pass." On third down, Penn State was stopped inches short of the goal line. On fourth down, Penn State was stopped again, Barry Krauss meeting Mike Guman and throwing him back for no gain. Alabama held on for a 14–7 victory.
|Alabama victories||Penn State victories|
|1||December 19, 1959A||Philadelphia, PA||#12 Penn State||7–0|
|2||December 31, 1975B||New Orleans, LA||#3 Alabama||13–6|
|3||January 1, 1979C||New Orleans, LA||#2 Alabama||14–7|
|4||November 14, 1981||State College, PA||#6 Alabama||31–16|
|5||October 9, 1982||Birmingham, AL||#4 Alabama||42–21|
|6||October 8, 1983||State College, PA||Penn State||34–28|
|7||October 13, 1984||Tuscaloosa, AL||Alabama||6–0|
|8||October 12, 1985||State College, PA||#8 Penn State||19–17|
|9||October 25, 1986||Tuscaloosa, AL||#6 Penn State||23–3|
|10||September 12, 1987||State College, PA||#19 Alabama||24–13|
|11||October 22, 1988||Birmingham, AL||Alabama||8–3|
|12||October 28, 1989||State College, PA||#6 Alabama||17–16|
|13||October 27, 1990||Tuscaloosa, AL||Penn State||9–0|
|14||September 11, 2010||Tuscaloosa, AL||#1 Alabama||24–3|
|15||September 10, 2011||State College, PA||#3 Alabama||27–11|
|Series: Alabama leads 10–5|
|A 1959 Liberty Bowl B 1975 Sugar Bowl C 1979 Sugar Bowl|
- Nissenson, Herschel (October 24, 1986). "Penn State-Alabama continues with its championship drama". Gainesville Sun. Associated Press. p. 3C. Retrieved November 14, 2011.
- Lynn, Britton (September 9, 2010). "Penn State rivalry goes far back". The Crimson White. Tuscaloosa, AL. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Davis, Rece (September 8, 2011). "Alabama, Penn State renew rivalry of respect". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Zenor, John (September 9, 2010). "Alabama-PSU rivalry has produced classic moments". San Diego Union-Tribune. Associated Press. Retrieved November 14, 2011.
- Dodds, Tracy (January 2, 1979). "Penn State fails to hold back the Tide". The Milwaukee Journal. Milwaukee, WI. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- 2011 Alabama Football Media Guide, University of Alabama Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, pp. 176–195 (2011). Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- College Football Data Warehouse, Alabama vs Penn State. Retrieved November 28, 2011.