Ahmed Okasha M.D., PhD, FRCP, FRCPsych, FACP(Hon.) is an Egyptian psychiatrist. He is a professor of psychiatry at Ain Shams University Faculty of Medicine, Cairo, Egypt. He wrote many books and articles about psychiatry and mental disorders. He is the first Arab-Muslim to be president of World Psychiatric Association from 2002 to 2005. He is married and have two sons: Tarek Okasha and Hisham Okasha.
- MB BCh from Ain Shams University Faculty of Medicine, Cairo , Egypt
- MSc from Ain Shams University Faculty of Medicine
- M.D., Ph.D. in Psychiatry from Ain Shams University Faculty of Medicine
- FRCP(Edin.), FRCPsych(lond.), FACP(HON)
Scientific and clinical career
- Founder and Honorary Chairman Institute of Psychiatry, Ain Shams University.
- Professor and Director of WHO Collaborating Center for Training and Research in Mental Health, Institute of Psychiatry – Ain Shams University, Cairo.
- Member Expert Advisory Panel in Mental Health – WHO – Geneva.
- President Egyptian Psychiatric Association.
- President Arab Federation of Psychiatrists.
- Honorary President World Psychiatric Association.
- Council member World Psychiatric Association.
- President of the Egyptian Society of Biological Psychiatry, of WFSBP.
- Chairman of the Review and Ethics Committee of World Psychiatric Association (2011-2014).
- Honorary Fellowship of the American College of Psychiatrists (2002).
- Fellow of Royal College of Psychiatrists (London, 1973).
- Fellow of Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh, 1973).
- Honorary Fellow of World Psychiatric Association (2005).
- International Distinguished Fellow of APA.
- Presidential Commendation of APA (2006).
- Editorial Advisory Board of 20 international scientific journals.
- Published more than 220 original articles in national and international journals.
- Editor and contributor of 47 books in the field of psychiatry and psychology in both the Arabic and English languages (see books at Okasha books. He was one of the founders of the Ain Shams Institute of Psychiatry.
- The Egyptian State Merit award in creativity in Science 2000.
- The Egyptian State Merit Prize for Medical Sciences 2008.
- Mubarak State Prize (The Nile Award) for Medical Sciences 2010.
- The Merit Medal of Scinence and Art (first class), 2013.
- Member of the Egyptian Presidential Council of Scientist (Mental health and community harmony).
The WPA Okasha award for developing countries
The Award includes a diploma, a medal and a donation of US$15,000, given to the two winners since 2005. The Okasha Award recognizes the contribution of two young psychiatrists or neuroscientists, below the age of 40, whose research efforts have best served psychiatry and mental health in a developing country.
Okasha Institute of Psychiatry
The Ain Shams Institute of Psychiatry was named after Prof Okasha in January 2011.
- World Psychiatric Association, Okasha CV
- "Ahmed Okasha: used books, rare books and new books @ BookFinder.com". bookfinder.com.
- "World Psychiatric Association". wpanet.org.
- "State Information Services Presidential decree to form consultative council of Egypt scholars, experts". sis.gov.eg.
- The WPA Okasha award for developing countries
Media related to Ahmed Okasha at Wikimedia Commons