Bolivarian Agency for Space Activities
Logo of ABAE
|Formed||November 28, 2005|
The Bolivarian Agency for Space Activities (Agencia Bolivariana para Actividades Espaciales, ABAE) is an agency of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MCTI)of Venezuela responsible for developing and carrying out policies of the National Executive Venezuela regarding the pacific use of the outer space. Originally designated Venezuelan Space Center (CEV), created on November 28, 2005. Then, the requirements grew up and the body was renamed as Bolivarian Agency for Space Activities (ABAE). The purpose of this agency is to design, coordinate and implement the policies of the Venezuelan National Executive, related to the peaceful use of outer space, and act as a decentralized entity specialized in aerospace. Since its creation, it has been working on the launch of the first artificial satellite of Venezuela, the Satellite Simon Bolivar (Venesat-1), which became in operational phase on October 29, 2008 and Satellite Miranda (VRSS-1) on September 29, 2012.
Among the objectives of the Bolivarian Agency for Space Activities, some include:
- Proposing to Venezuelan National Executive, space policies in the short term.
- Run the space policy defined by the National Executive.
- Develop and implement activities and programs in the space field.
- Ensure compliance of international treaties governing space issues.
- Establish technical criteria for harmonizing the various national initiatives in the field of space technology.
- Promote solidarity and cooperation among the National Government institutions.
- Others as defined by their body attachment.
Research lines and specific interests
- Technological Appropriation Program of VENESAT-1
- Training of Venezuelan operators and engineers in overlooking the administration of satellite ground control port.
- Transmission of telecommunication signals from fixed service between earth stations. The flow includes areas of telephony, fax, radio programs, television and the Internet .
- Applications in maritime, aeronautical and land mobile services satellite intercom from SMS mobile networks.
- Direct Broadcast Services video, audio and other data to the general public from the space platform.
The Foundation is governed and administered by a Board of Directors composed of a Chairman and four members and their alternates. The President, the four members and their alternates shall be officials of appointment and removal of the Minister of Science, Technology and Industry (MCTI).
- Satellite Miranda (Spanish)
- Official website
- Ministry of Popular Power for Science, Technology and Intermediate Industries of Venezuela