A Place in the Sun (TV series)
|A Place in the Sun|
|Presented by||Various (see below)|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||
7 (A Place in the Sun)|
4 (By the Sea)
7 (Home or Away?)
1 (Winter Sun) (A Place in the Sun: Home or USA)
1 (Summer Sun)
|No. of episodes||
77 (A Place in the Sun)|
189 (Home or Away)
20 (to date) (Winter Sun)
|Running time||1 hour per episode [approx.]|
|Production company(s)||Freeform Productions|
|Original network||Channel 4|
|Original release||2000 – present|
A Place in the Sun: By the Sea|
A Place in the Sun: Home or Away?
A Place in the Sun: Winter Sun
A Place in the Sun: Summer Sun'
A Place In The Sun: Home or USA?
A Place in the Sun is a British Channel 4 lifestyle television series about attempting to find a "perfect property" on the market in the United Kingdom, overseas, and "abroad". It most often focuses on places in southern Europe, but in recent years, it has also featured a number of places in other areas of the world.
Generally, every episode on the programme shows a British couple wishing to buy a property in a sunny foreign country are shown three or four places found by the show's researchers. The presenter gives the couple useful local information relating to buying, running and maintaining a property in this particular location. After viewing each property the couple are asked for their opinions. At the end of the show they are asked if they have a favourite property and we're finally told if they went on to buy the property or another in the region. It was a response to the growth in Britons buying property abroad.
'A Place in the Sun: Home or Away? / Winter Sun / Home or USA?
A Place in the Sun: Summer Sun / By The Sea
Spin-offs include the website featuring news, features, advice and the opportunity to search 30,000 overseas properties for sale and for holiday rental, a magazine, which is now the most popular magazine advising on buying overseas property, and two live exhibitions per year in London and Birmingham, called A Place in the Sun Live, since 2005. The most recent A Place in the Sun Live overseas property exhibition took place at National Exhibition Centre Birmingham between 25–27 September 2015.
There have also been a number of spin-off television programmes, including:
- A Place in France (2002).
- A Place in Greece (2004) and A Place in Greece: Year 2 (2005).
- A Place in Spain (2004) and A Place in Spain: Year 2 (2005).
- A Place in Slovakia (2005) with its sequel Chaos at the Chateau in 2007.
- A Place in the Sun: By The Sea (2006–2011) which looks at buying property in coastal areas of the UK, presented by Seetha Hallett.
- A Place in the Sun: Home or Away? (2004–present) in which people view properties both in the UK and in a foreign country, presented by Jasmine Harman, Jonnie Irwin. Laura Hamilton and Sara Damergi.
- A Place in the Sun: Summer Sun (2012–present) presented by Sara Damergi.
- A Place in the Sun: Winter Sun (2012–present) presented by Jasmine Harman, Jonnie Irwin, Laura Hamilton and Luke Doonan.
- A Place in the Sun: Home or USA (2003–present) presented by Sara Damergi, Jasmine Harman, Jonnie Irwin, Laura Hamilton, Zilpah Hartley and Seetha Hallett.
- A Place in the Sun at channel4.com
- A Place in the Sun at the Internet Movie Database
- Official A Place in the Sun TV series website