|Traded as||NASDAQ: ARIA|
|Headquarters||Cambridge, MA, United States|
Paris Panayiotopoulos ,|
CEO since December 2015
Chairman of the Board
retired (as of December 2015) Chairman & CEO
Timothy P. Clackson,
President of Research and Development and Chief Scientific Officer
Ridaforolimus (Under development)|
Ponatinib (FDA approved, trade name Iclusig)
Brigatinib (Under development)
|Revenue||US$178.98M (FY 2010)|
|US$104.90M (FY 2010)|
|US$85.25M (FY 2010)|
|Total assets||US$50.4M (FY 2010)|
Number of employees
On December 14, 2012 the FDA approved Ariad Pharmaceutical's leukemia drug Iclusig for patients with all forms of chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) or Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Ph+ ALL) who are resistant or unable to tolerate other tyrosine kinase therapies on the market. The drug was temporarily withdrawn from the market in November 2013 "because of the risk of life-threatening blood clots and severe narrowing of blood vessels". This suspension was partially lifted on December 20, 2013 with ponatinib being issued revised prescribing information, a new "black box warning" and a "Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy" in place to better evaluate the risks and benefits of using the drug.
Ariad is engaged in the discovery, development, and commercialization of medicines for cancer patients. It offers Iclusig (ponatinib), a tyrosine kinase inhibitor for the treatment of adult patients with chronic myeloid leukemia (CML), and Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia in the United States and Europe. Various investigator-sponsored trials are ongoing in several indications, including first line and second line CML, acute lymphoblastic leukemia (BCR-ABL), acute myeloid leukemia (FLT3 inhibitor), non-small cell lung cancer (RET, FGFR), advanced biliary cancer With FGFR2 fusions and other cancers with activating mutations involving the following Genes: FGFR1, FGFR2, FGFR3, FGFR4, RET, and KIT.
In addition, its product pipeline consists of Brigatinib, an investigational inhibitor of anaplastic lymphoma kinase for treating advanced solid tumors comprising non-small cell lung cancer. This drug reported results of its registration trial at ASCO, June 6, 2016, with encouraging results; AP32788, an inhibitor of solid tumors with EGFR and HER2 activating mutation, which began phase I testing in the second quarter of 2016; and Ridaforolimus, an investigational mTOR inhibitor for various types of cancers. The company sells and markets Iclusig through specialty pharmacies and specialty distributors in the United States. It has collaboration and license agreement with Medinol Ltd. and ICON Medical Corp. to develop and commercialize stents and other medical devices to deliver ridaforolimus.
On February 21, 2014 Ariad Pharmaceuticals announced the appointment of Sarissa Capital's Alexander J. Denner, Ph.D. to a two-year term on the company's Board of Directors. Previously, Denner served as a senior managing director at Carl Icahn's Icahn Capital and is currently Ariad's second-largest shareholder. On January 10, 2016, Ariad announced that Denner had become the chairman of the board, replacing Harvey Berger. Shortly thereafter, the company announced the termination of its shareholder's rights plan (the "poison pill.")
Products under development
- "ARIA Annual Income Statement - Ariad Pharmaceuticals Inc. Annual Financials". MarketWatch. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- "ARIAD Reports First Quarter 2010 Financial Results and Development Progress". Reuters.
- Abramowicz, Mark (21 November 2013). "Ponatinib Withdrawn: A Pharmaceutical Tragedy".
- "Drug Safety and Availability - FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA asks manufacturer of the leukemia drug Iclusig (ponatinib) to suspend marketing and sales". Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.
- "Search of: ponatinib - List Results". ClinicalTrials.gov.
- Dong-Wan Kim; et al. (June 2016). "Brigatinib in Patients With Crizotinib-Refractory ALK+ Non–Small Cell Lung Cancer: First Report of Efficacy and Safety From a Pivotal Randomized Phase 2 Trial (ALTA)". The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting.
- "AP32788 is ARIAD's most recent, internally-discovered drug candidate". Ariad Pharmaceuticals.
- "ARIAD Announces Election of Alex Denner as Chairman of the Board of Directors". Business Wire.
- "ARIAD Announces Termination of Shareholder Rights Plan -". Business Wire.
- "Ariad to Receive Up-to $200M in Royalty Deal - GEN Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - Biotech from Bench to Business - GEN".