A1 Telekom Austria
|Products||Fixed line and mobile telephony, internet, IT services, IPTV|
|Brands||A1, bob, Yesss!, Red Bull MOBILE|
|Revenue||EUR 2.5 billion (2014)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Telekom Austria Group|
A1 Telekom Austria (A1) is a major Austrian mobile network operator. It has been operating commercially since 1994 and in testing since 1992. It launched under the name Mobilkom Austria. After the merger with Telekom Austria in July 2010 it operates under the new name of A1 Telekom Austria.
A1 Telekom Austria is a 100% subsidiary of Telekom Austria. A1 Telekom Austria offers convergent communication solutions. The product portfolio includes Fixed line and mobile telephony, internet, IT services, IPTV, wholesale services as well as mobile payment solutions. It offers products under the brands A1 (complete services offer), Bob and Yesss! (No frills-mobile telephony) as well as Red Bull MOBILE (cooperation with Red Bull).
The company launched GPRS in 2000. Three years later A1 introduced UMTS which was upgraded first to HSDPA in 2007 and afterwards to HSPA+ in March 2009. Followed by LTE in September 2010 and DC-HSPA+ in December 2010. In October 2013 A1 Telekom Austria AG acquired 2 x 70 MHz in mobile frequencies in the Austrian multiband auction. The total expenses amounted to EUR 1.03 billion.
As a consequence of the acquisition of Orange Austria by Hutchison, A1 acquired the discount brand Yesss! from Orange for €390 million.
In 2013 the Austrian segment saw a 10.3% increase in mobile customers to around 5.7 million as a result of the acquisition of Yesss!. In line with this A1 Telekom Austria AG's market share increased by 4.7 percentage points to 42.6%. Fixed access lines increased to 2.3 million in 2013. A1 TV posted an increase of 7.7% to 235,700 customers.
- "A1 company profile". Telekom Austria. Retrieved 2015-04-26.
- "A1 schreibt Geschichte" (in German). A1 Telekom Austria. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "Mobilkom set to launch 3G services in Austria". TeleGeography. 2003-04-16. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "Mobilkom to offer 7.2Mbps HSDPA service". TeleGeography. 2007-01-31. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "Austria Gets Europe's First HSPA+ Mobile Data Network". cellular-news. 2009-03-22. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
- "Telekom Austria Group Acquires 2.6 GHz Frequencies and starts with LTE in Austria". Telekom Austria Group. 2010-09-20. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "A1 boosts UMTS network with HSPA+ Dual Cell technology". Telecompaper. 2010-12-15. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "3 Austria completes Orange Austria acquisition". Telecompaper. 2013-01-03. Retrieved 2014-08-14.