A. J. Derby
|No. 83 Denver Broncos|
|Date of birth:||September 20, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Iowa City, Iowa|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||255 lb (116 kg)|
|High school:||Iowa City (IA)|
|NFL Draft:||2015 / Round: 6 / Pick: 202|
|Career NFL statistics|
A. J. Derby (born September 20, 1991) is an American football tight end for the Denver Broncos of the National Football League. He played college football at Iowa (2010–11), Coffeyville Community College (2012) and Arkansas (2013–14).
Derby started his collegiate career at Iowa, where, after redshirting his freshman year, he was a backup quarterback in 2011. He appeared in nine games and completed 3 passes for 30 yards.
Before his sophomore year, he transferred to Coffeyville Community College, where he finished the year throwing for 1,936 yards and 22 touchdowns, leading his team to Region IV semifinals.
Before his junior year, he transferred again, to play at Arkansas, where he was a backup quarterback again. He started one game during the year, finishing the year throwing for 178 yards and one touchdown. Before his senior year, he was converted to tight end. Derby would play in 11 games with 7 starts at tight end before missing the last two games due to a knee injury. He finished the year with 22 catches for 303 yards and three touchdowns.
New England Patriots
Derby was drafted by the New England Patriots in the sixth round of the 2015 NFL Draft. On August 5, 2015, he was placed on injured reserve after clearing waivers. Derby spent the 2016 training camp and preseason competing with fellow tight end Clay Harbor to be the team's third tight end; however, after a strong preseason from Derby, both he and Harbor made the Patriots' initial 53-man roster. Derby made his professional debut in the Patriots' Week 1 victory over the Arizona Cardinals.
- "Patriots Draft Arkansas Tight End A.J. Derby With 202nd Overall Pick | New England Patriots | NESN.com". nesn.com. Retrieved 2015-05-02.
- "Patriots shore up offensive, defensive line depth on final day of NFL Draft – Sports – The Boston Globe". bostonglobe.com. Retrieved 2015-05-02.
- "Pats take Arkansas TE AJ Derby in 6th round". weei.com. Retrieved 2015-05-02.
- "A.J. Derby earns starting job at Arkansas". press-citizen.com. Retrieved 2015-05-02.
- "Patriots Place Sixth-Round Draft Pick A.J. Derby On Injured Reserve". August 5, 2015.
- "What did Clay Harbor do to make the New England Patriots roster? A little bit of everything".
- "Dont'a Hightower, A.J. Derby, Rob Gronkowski among inactives vs. Dolphins".
- Swanson, Ben (October 25, 2016). "Broncos agree to terms with Patriots on trade for TE A.J. Derby, release Shiloh Keo". DenverBroncos.com.
- "Patriots trade TE AJ Derby to Denver; Sign Shamiel Gary to the practice squad". Patroits.com. October 25, 2016.