- the 25th prime number (the largest two-digit prime number in base 10), following 89 and preceding 101.
- a Proth prime as it is 3 × 25 + 1.
- the eleventh member of the Mian–Chowla sequence.
- the smallest factor of one more than the product of the first twenty-five terms of the Euclid–Mullin sequence, making it the twenty-sixth term.
- a self number in base 10, since there is no integer that added to its own digits adds up to 97.
- the highest two digit number where the sum of its digits is a square.
- Messier object M97, a magnitude 12.0 planetary nebula in the constellation Ursa Major, also known as the Owl Nebula
- The New General Catalogue object NGC 97, an elliptical galaxy in the constellation Andromeda
- The Saros number of
- the solar eclipse series which began in June 123 and ended in July 1385. The duration of Saros series 97 was 1262.1 years, and it contained 71 solar eclipses.
- the lunar eclipse series which began in March 425 and ended in May 1723. The duration of Saros series 97 was 1298.1 years, and it contained 73 lunar eclipses.
In other fields
- The atomic number of berkelium, an actinide.
- The 97th United States Congress met during the Ronald Reagan administration, from January 1981 to January 1983
- The 10-97 police code means "arrived on the scene"
- STS-97 Space Shuttle Endeavour mission launched November 30, 2000
- The 97th Infantry Division was a unit of the United States Army in World War I and World War II.
- Madden NFL 97 was the first John Madden NFL American football game to be created in the 32-bit gaming era.
- Radio stations broadcasting on frequencies near 97, such as Hot 97, New York City and 97X, Tampa, Florida
- A song Baby Boy / Saturday Night '97 by Whigfield
- The number of the Southern Railway train in the Wreck of the Old 97, a ballad recorded by numerous artists, including Flatt and Scruggs, Woody Guthrie, Johnny Cash, Nine Pound Hammer, and Hank Snow.
- The Old 97's are an alt-country band, which took their name from the song "The Wreck of the Old 97"
- A song by Alkaline Trio off their self-titled album
- The Marching 97, marching band of Lehigh University.
- The car number of Kurt Busch's Ford when he won the 2004 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series championship.
- The jersey number 97 has been retired by the Phoenix Coyotes to honor Jeremy Roenick.
- "Sloane's A080076 : Proth primes". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-28.
- "Sloane's A005282 : Mian-Chowla sequence". The On-Line Encyclopedia of integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-28.
- "Sloane's A000945 : Euclid-Mullin sequence". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-28.
- "Sloane's A003052 : Self numbers". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-28.