2013 Milan–San Remo
|2013 UCI World Tour, race 4 of 28|
|The peloton in Savona|
|Date||17 March 2013|
|Distance||246 km (152.9 mi)|
|Winning time||5h 37' 20"|
|Winner||Gerald Ciolek (GER)||(MTN–Qhubeka)|
|Second||Peter Sagan (SVK)||(Cannondale)|
|Third||Fabian Cancellara (SUI)||(RadioShack–Leopard)|
The 2013 Milan–San Remo was the 104th running of the Milan–San Remo single-day cycling race. It was held on 17 March over a shortened distance of 246 kilometres (152.9 miles), and was the fourth race of the 2013 UCI World Tour season. For the first time in 31 years, Milan–San Remo was held on a Sunday, after race organisers requested to change and move into line with several of the other Classic races.
Heavy snowfall and bad weather forced organisers to shorten the race from 298 kilometres (185.2 miles) to 246 kilometres (152.9 miles) eliminating two key climbs – the Passo del Turchino and Le Manie – and arranging a bus transfer, for the race to begin a second time. A few riders elected not to take the restart, including Omega Pharma–Quick-Step's Tom Boonen, who protested against the decision to let all riders rejoin the main group, despite several riders having lost contact before the race was neutralised.
After Boonen's team-mate Sylvain Chavanel and Team Sky rider Ian Stannard had led a reduced peloton over the summit of the final climb, the Poggio di San Remo, a group of six formed on the descent from the Poggio, including pre-race favourites Peter Sagan (Cannondale) and 2008 winner Fabian Cancellara of RadioShack–Leopard. The sextet remained together until the finish, where Gerald Ciolek prevailed in the sprint for MTN–Qhubeka, ahead of Sagan and Cancellara.
As Milan–San Remo was a UCI World Tour event, all UCI ProTeams were invited automatically and obligated to send a squad. Originally, eighteen ProTeams were invited to the race, with seven other squads given wildcard places, and as such, would have formed the event's 25-team peloton. Originally admitted to the event as a wildcard, Team Katusha subsequently regained their ProTour status after an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Each of the 25 teams entered eight riders to the race, making up a starting peloton of 200 riders. Among the peloton was the first black South African rider in the race's history, MTN–Qhubeka's Songezo Jim.
|1||Gerald Ciolek (GER)||MTN–Qhubeka||5h 37' 20"|
|2||Peter Sagan (SVK)||Cannondale||s.t.|
|3||Fabian Cancellara (SUI)||RadioShack–Leopard||s.t.|
|4||Sylvain Chavanel (FRA)||Omega Pharma–Quick-Step||s.t.|
|5||Luca Paolini (ITA)||Team Katusha||s.t.|
|6||Ian Stannard (GBR)||Team Sky||s.t.|
|7||Taylor Phinney (USA)||BMC Racing Team||s.t.|
|8||Alexander Kristoff (NOR)||Team Katusha||+ 14"|
|9||Mark Cavendish (GBR)||Omega Pharma–Quick-Step||+ 14"|
|10||Bernhard Eisel (AUT)||Team Sky||+ 14"|
- "Order of Arrival" (PDF). Milan–San Remo. La Gazzetta dello Sport; RCS MediaGroup. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- Lowe, Felix (17 March 2013). "Ciolek wins snow-shortened Milan-San Remo". Yahoo! Eurosport. TF1 Group. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- Atkins, Ben (28 November 2012). "UCI confirms Milano-Sanremo and il Lombardia moving to Sundays in 2013". VeloNation. VeloNation LLC. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- MacMichael, Simon (17 March 2013). "Snow and TV schedules wreak havoc as race shortened". Road.cc. Farrelly Atkinson. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "Gerald Ciolek wins Milan-San Remo". Cyclingnews.com. Future plc. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- Atkins, Ben (17 March 2013). "Gerald Ciolek edges out Peter Sagan in breakaway sprint". VeloNation. VeloNation LLC. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- Farrand, Stephen (8 January 2013). "Bardiani, Colombia and Fantini Vini secure Giro d'Italia wild card invitations". Cyclingnews.com. Future plc. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
25 teams will ride Milano-Sanremo: the 18 WorldTour teams plus Androni Giocattoli, Katusha, MTN-Qhubaka, IAM Cycling, Bardiani, Vini Fantini and Team Europcar.
- "CAS orders WorldTour licence for Katusha". Cyclingnews.com. Future plc. 15 February 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "UCI confirms 19 WorldTour teams for 2013". Cyclingnews.com. Future plc. 18 February 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "MTN-Qhubeka's Jim cold introduction to the WorldTour". Cyclingnews.com. Future plc. 19 March 2013. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Milan-San Remo 2013 start list". Cyclingnews.com. Future plc. Retrieved 15 March 2013.